hvsteve

Default Plumber billing

We purchased a good quality polished brass faucet for a wall hung sink
in our powder room as part of a remodel. I called the plumbing
contractor we use and stressed several times I wanted ALL brass under
the sink,which is very visable. I was assured the men had everything
they needed on the truck. When the guy came,he was able to install only
half the brass as he did not have all the parts,so finished the job in
chrome. That was last December. Every time I called I was told they
were having problems getting the parts. Finally,last month,I did what I
should have done months ago and went to a plumbing supply house with a
list of what the plumber said he needed. They said they would have it
transferred from another branch the following day. I called the plumber
and he said he would send a man to pick it up. The boss came to finish
the install and found he was still short a few parts. This week,one of
his men came back and finished. The company wants to charge 1.5 hours
for the final work. I'm refusing to pay,claiming that,had they come
with everything they needed the first time,the guy had,at most,another
30 minutes of labor. They also made an appointment to stop by the house
prior to finishing to survey the job and make sure of what they
needed,but never showed. Am I right in refusing to pay?

m Ransley

Yes

Goedjn

30 minutes of labor. They also made an appointment to stop by the house
prior to finishing to survey the job and make sure of what they
needed,but never showed. Am I right in refusing to pay?

Depends. Are you ever planning on having anyone from that company
in your house again?
Matt

Don't ask here, no one can tell you.

There are two sides to every story, and as long as emotions stay out of
the equation, most people are reasonable and wish to find a solution
that makes everyone satisfied.

I'm willing to bet that if you either call and make your case, or
preferably, call and ask for a 1/2 appt with the owner, and that if
everything you posted is true, then the charges will be waived or a
refund will be given.

The guys that come to your house don't have the authority to make
decisions like this, all they know is do the work and get the $.

The only thing that doesn't ring true about your story is the length of
time that has passed. I don't know anybody that would wait for nearly a
year for a simple finish like this to be completed..... there has to be
something you are leaving out; if not, make sure you have writtten down
every time you called, and every excuse you got from them.

A customer going to a supply house to get parts is unaccceptable, if I
had to go to those lengths I would bill the plumbing company for my
time.

Art

Yep. Unfortunately under some state laws they may have a workman's lien on
you home if you don't pay. I would file threaten to file a complaint with
the plumber's license board and state attorney general if they don't drop
it.

"hvsteve" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Jeff Wisnia

Matt wrote:

The guys that come to your house don't have the authority to make
decisions like this, all they know is do the work and get the $.

One other essential thing they have to know is that sh*t won't flow uphill.

Jeff (Time heals all wounds...)

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Matt

Jeff (Time heals all wounds...)

Peace.

Ranieri

"hvsteve" wrote in message
oups.com...
We purchased a good quality polished brass faucet for a wall hung sink
in our powder room as part of a remodel. I called the plumbing
contractor we use and stressed several times I wanted ALL brass under
the sink,which is very visable. I was assured the men had everything
they needed on the truck. When the guy came,he was able to install only
half the brass as he did not have all the parts,so finished the job in
chrome.

Sounds like they did a half-brassed job. (sorry)

hvsteve

Thanks for the replies. I didn't argue with the plumber. When he
presented me with the bill,I had him get his boss on the phone and went
around with him. This would not have dragged on so long except it was a
cosmetic thing and they kept telling me they could not get the parts.
In the interim,I had these guys install a heating system in my house,so
feel justified in being a pain in the a--- based on the amount of money
I've paid them to have grief with this small project. I've been so
ripped off in recent years that,though these guys didn't do it,they
happen to be the unfortunate ones who are in my sites when I have
determined to dig in my heels and stop letting tradesmen play me for a
sucker.