BARRY MARTIN

Default Terminology needed - cond

-= "S. SHAW" wrote to ALL =-

"S Greetings. I'm trying to search for what I need for a small
"S project, but I can't seem to find the right terminology, plus, if
"S I give a description of what I'm doing, possibly you good people
"S will have a better solution.

"S Nearly a year ago I had DirecTV installed, and the installer
"S drilled a hole through the siding in through the drywall to feed
"S in the coax. He explained that with a basic install, nothing
"S fancy can be expected. Well, at the time it wasn't really a
"S problem, even though it's the front of the house. I just removed
"S some large bushes from in front of the house and find that the
"S coax is completely exposed and hanging from the hole that was
"S drilled, across the ground, and runs around the corner of the
"S house to the back where the splitter is. First, it looks ugly,
"S second, anyone who had a malicious thought could snip that coax,
"S and there goes my directv.

"S I don't really want to push the coax back through the sealed hole
"S in order to run it through a conduit, along with some sort of
"S housing that could screw into the siding where the hole is, and
"S I've got the problem solved with flexible split conduit, but
"S can't seem to find a housing or something with a 90 degree angle
"S to place over the hole that can be connected to the flexible
"S conduit. What would something like that be called?

Perhaps look in the Electrical Department for surface mount coverings?
Know there is flat (about 1«" wide by ¬" thick) and round (has a split
byt getting round coax in it may be a challenge). I'm not sure how well
would hold up outside.

Another option might be wooden moldings. Many are hollow. Paint before
installation to seal all surfaces. Pre-drill so won't split during
nailing/screwing into side of house.

¯ ®
¯ Barry.Martin þ at þ QCONline,COM ®
¯ ®

... Movie: a petty criminal & defense lawyer, going to court: You've Got Bail!
--- MultiMail/Win32 v0.46
þ wcECHO 4.2 ÷ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA þ
þ * RelayNet(tm): CamCat (#3041): Telnet: bbs.camcat.com www.camcat.com

--- RIME To Usenet Gateway @ 10/20/2005 2:26:55 AM ---

AustinScoobee

They did the same to me with the Direc PC internet..I disconnected it
from the dish, and then slid on all the 1" elec pvc parts to bury it
about a foot.. Just get the grey stuff at the box store for elec ,
designed to be buried.I needed some right angle radius' to turn it up
and one of the flush mount boxes, plus all the straight stuff.

J.D.

The 90 degree fitting is called an LB for one with the opening at the back,
a LR if the opening is on the right side and a EL for a shorter version of
one with opening at the back . The blue flexible plastic conduit is known as
ENT and there are fittings made for use with it the however I don't know of
any 90 degree fitting that can be installed with out feeding the cable
through it.You might be able to cut a slot in the LB's underside for the
wire to fit through.
Special siding clips are made to attach the cable wire directly to most
types of siding in a neat fashion they drive in and provide a tie point for
small wire ties the last I bought were clear so they were not noticeable and
were made by T&B Thomas and Betts. It annoys me to no end that cable
companies, satellite companies and the like have abandon the
telecommunications industry standard practice of running wire only with the
direction of the siding and going to the corner to make the vertical part of
the run. I have seen some even run diagonally over the outside of a house.
I most cases there is a better way to wire but the company pays so little to
the contractor who is sometimes qualified and sometimes not that you get the
cheapest possible installation.

Good Luck
Jay

BARRY MARTIN wrote in message
[...]