Robert11

Default Furnace Warranty Quote; Reasonable ?

--PC acting up again with OE. Might be a duplicated
post.
If so, I apologize--

Hello:

A bit surprised on the quote by the Installer for a 10 yr P&L extended
warranty for a new Trane Gas Hot Air furnace

(residential; the 80% model, 120 K, 2 stage, with var. speed blower)
Model No. TUD 120 R 9V5K

Does $700 sound in the ball park for a 10 yr P&L for this type of unit ?

Thanks,
B.

"Extended warranties are highly valued by the companies selling them,
because they're
rarely utilized and thus represent pure profit for the seller. "

And one reason they are not highly utilized is that when you go to use
them, most of the companies will come up with any excuse they can to
claim that the needed repair is not covered.

Joseph Meehan

Robert11 wrote:
--PC acting up again with OE. Might be a
duplicated post.
If so, I apologize--

Hello:

A bit surprised on the quote by the Installer for a 10 yr P&L extended
warranty for a new Trane Gas Hot Air furnace

(residential; the 80% model, 120 K, 2 stage, with var. speed blower)
Model No. TUD 120 R 9V5K

Does $700 sound in the ball park for a 10 yr P&L for this type of
unit ?

About $350 goes into the pocket of the salesman as soon as you buy it.
The other $350 goes to the insurance company where they take out the actual
cost of servicing the contract (likely about $200), profit and overhead. Do
your self a favor and put the money in the bank.

Thanks,
B.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Greg O

"Robert11" wrote in message
--PC acting up again with OE. Might be a duplicated
post.
If so, I apologize--

Hello:

A bit surprised on the quote by the Installer for a 10 yr P&L extended
warranty for a new Trane Gas Hot Air furnace

(residential; the 80% model, 120 K, 2 stage, with var. speed blower)
Model No. TUD 120 R 9V5K

Does $700 sound in the ball park for a 10 yr P&L for this type of unit ?

Thanks,
B.

Do as the others have said and put the cash in the bank and use it to pay
for the repairs!
My last furnace ran fifteen years with $5 in parts. I fixed it myself as I
do HVAC for a living, but if I paid someone to come out I would not have
spent over $150 for service. Our company does not promote warranties.

The other problem is dealing with the warranty company. You generally get
the bottom of the barrel for a service company because a good company is too
busy to deal with the B.S. of doing the warranty. Also you probably will not
get the unit fixed to your satisfaction. The warranty company will nickel
and dime the repair, doing the bare minimum to get it running again.

I had a service call a few years ago that was a warranty call. (first and
only warranty call I ever did!) The homeowner had trouble finding anyone to
come out as it was a warranty deal. We agreed to come out on the condition
that we would charge the home owner, and credit them back if/when we got
paid from the warranty company. I found the problem, had the part on the
truck, but could not get the warranty company to return our phone calls to
approve the repair! As it was -20F and the home was about to freeze I did
the repair anyway. We spent the next six months trying to collect for a
repair that was not approved! I don't think we ever got paid from the
warranty company. Lucky for us that we did collect from the home owner!
Greg

HeatMan

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

Read on.

I had a service call a few years ago that was a warranty call. (first and
only warranty call I ever did!) The homeowner had trouble finding anyone

come out as it was a warranty deal. We agreed to come out on the condition
that we would charge the home owner, and credit them back if/when we got
paid from the warranty company. I found the problem, had the part on the
truck, but could not get the warranty company to return our phone calls to
approve the repair! As it was -20F and the home was about to freeze I did
the repair anyway. We spent the next six months trying to collect for a
repair that was not approved! I don't think we ever got paid from the
warranty company. Lucky for us that we did collect from the home owner!

If I get a call from a customer that has a home warranty, I tell them they
will pay me up front and submit the claim to the warranty company
themselves. If the company calls me, I will answer their reasonable
questions, but I tell them up front that I will start charging for my time
after the first 10 or 15 questions.