Default Gas Shutoff Valve Location - In Wall Cavity?

Part of my kitchen remodel is moving the stove about 5 feet. There
will be a cabinet between the new location and the existing shutoff
valve, which sticks up through the floor a couple inches from the wall.
This prevents me from pushing the stove all of the way back.

Since I need to move the line anyway, is it permissable to have the
shutoff valve recessed within the wall? I understand newer ranges have
a cutout on the back to go around the valve, but since I will have the
wall open anyway, why not frame a box around the valve and not drywall
the front? I think I've seen plastic boxes that fit into a stud cavity
to do this, but on the floor behind the stove I really don't care how
it looks.

Roger Taylor

wrote in message
oups.com...
Part of my kitchen remodel is moving the stove about 5 feet. There
will be a cabinet between the new location and the existing shutoff
valve, which sticks up through the floor a couple inches from the wall.
This prevents me from pushing the stove all of the way back.
Since I need to move the line anyway, is it permissable to have the
shutoff valve recessed within the wall? I understand newer ranges have
a cutout on the back to go around the valve, but since I will have the
wall open anyway, why not frame a box around the valve and not drywall
the front? I think I've seen plastic boxes that fit into a stud cavity
to do this, but on the floor behind the stove I really don't care how
it looks.

Where I live the shutoff must be easily and quickly reached from next to the
stove. We routed our pipe so the shutoff handle is reachable by opening the
adjacent cabinet door, and we cut a 4x4 inch hole in the cabinet back, just
a few inches above the floor of the cabinet. The valve itself is located
within the wall, in front of the fiberglass insulation, but the handle
protrudes so it is just flush with the back of the cabinet. We also put the
110v receptacle for the gas stove right next to the valve access hole, so we
can either unplug it or shut off the gas easily, in an emergency. We didnt
box it in, since this area only shows when you peer to the back of the
cabinet.