Rhino

Default Maintaining VCT Tile

I just had a new VCT tile floor laid (professionally) today; the
superintendent is applying a sealer tomorrow.

I asked the installer what maintenance I would have to do on the new floor
and he said I should wax it regularly but when I asked him what type of wax
to use and how often to apply it, he shrugged and said he didn't know; he
only installed floors but didn't get involved with the maintenance side of
things. I found this a bit suprising - he said he'd learned floor installing
from his dad, who had 33 years in the business - but thought I'd ask here
for any advice on the proper way of maintaining this floor.

I should mention that I am renting so I really don't want to spend a lot of
time or money on maintaining this floor but I'd be willing to do a bit if it
makes a dramatic difference in the life of the floor.

--
Rhino

Charles Spitzer

"Rhino" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

http://experts.about.com/q/1621/3710070.htm

Rhino

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message

"Rhino" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Unfortunately, this only talks about an initial sealing after the floor is
laid which, as I've said, is going to happen tomorrow morning.

Does anyone know if I have to do any further periodic maintenance of the
floor? For instance, do I have to reseal it periodically or is the initial
sealing going to last the life of the floor? How should I clean the floor
when it gets dirt and spills on it? Are there any particular cleaners or
cleaning tools I should use or avoid?

Rhino

Mikepier

VCT is similiar to what the supermarkets have on their floors. It does
require periodic stripping and waxing/sealing depending how heavy the
floor gets used. You will know when it's time when the floor looks
dull. Home Depot carries a whole array of products for VCT floors.
Any spills should just come up with a sponge or mop.

Tile installation estimate in line with market? ate1 Home Repair 3 October 28th 04 11:13 PM
**** Tile questions ceramic .vs. porcelain **** TheCouchCruncher Home Repair 6 October 9th 04 03:27 AM
Florida Tile LD Home Repair 16 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
Florida Tile LD Home Ownership 17 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
Tile Indentation & Cracking, Installer, and the Attorney General Ben Home Repair 8 July 18th 03 02:25 PM