calhoun

Default sump pump control

Hi,
I have seen 2 systems to control submersible sump pumps.

The float system, uses either a small float on a guide wire and goes up and
down vertically or a bulb that just floats up on an arc.

The diaphragm system, which, I think, senses pressure.

Any advantage to either. I am leaning toward the diaphragm since it has less
moving parts to get stuck.

RBM

Zoeller makes a really nice pump that has a float that rides up on a
stainless steel shaft. I prefer this method as it can't get tangled and the
pressure switch type can get water leakage and go bad
"calhoun" wrote in message
Hi,
I have seen 2 systems to control submersible sump pumps.

The float system, uses either a small float on a guide wire and goes up
and down vertically or a bulb that just floats up on an arc.

The diaphragm system, which, I think, senses pressure.

Any advantage to either. I am leaning toward the diaphragm since it has
less moving parts to get stuck.

Jim Elbrecht

"calhoun" wrote:

Hi,
I have seen 2 systems to control submersible sump pumps.

The float system, uses either a small float on a guide wire and goes up and
down vertically or a bulb that just floats up on an arc.

The diaphragm system, which, I think, senses pressure.

Any advantage to either. I am leaning toward the diaphragm since it has less
moving parts to get stuck.

The advantage to the diaphragm switch is that nothing can get tangled
in it. The advantage of the float bulb or float is that you can
easily trigger the pump to empty the sump hole.

My current pump is a diaphragm & I'll go back to the float bulb on my
next one. I can't believe how many times I've wanted to empty the
sump hole to clean it or just to get rid of half a hole full of old
water.

Jim

Several things wrong with new flat - no central heating, low hot water pressure even with water pump, noisey pump kiich UK diy 69 July 13th 05 07:36 PM
Basement Water Despite Sump Pump DaveR Home Repair 12 April 4th 05 03:47 PM
Sump pump problem Randy Home Ownership 4 April 3rd 05 06:59 PM
sump pump running continuously [email protected] Home Ownership 1 February 21st 05 05:02 PM
Sump Pump vs. No Sump Pump (Questions) BroJack Home Repair 4 September 5th 04 06:56 PM