the_wise_elder

Default Trim Question

I have a fireplace mantle for a gas fireplace insert which has white
trim. It looks a *lot* like the fireplace in this pictu

http://www.diamondcase.com/Evolution..._Fireplace.jpg

I'm considering building an entertainment unit for my projection tv,
and I'm wondering if I use white MDF and the same trim as my fireplace
if it will look good? Or will it cause the room to look oddly
consistent....the design for the entertainment unit looks like this:

http://audiovideocity.com/Furniture/ventw1.jpg

Imagine that unit in white with the fireplace trim. If anyone knows if
this is a bad idea, please let me know...

Edwin Pawlowski

"the_wise_elder" wrote in message
I'm considering building an entertainment unit for my projection tv,
and I'm wondering if I use white MDF and the same trim as my fireplace
if it will look good? Or will it cause the room to look oddly
consistent....the design for the entertainment unit looks like this:

It would look just fine but it may also fall apart.

MDF is not a very good material for parts of an entertainment center. It
may be OK for doors and trim, but I'd not use it for shelving or anything
prone to flexing. Plywood is better for that. MDF is also very heavy!

Have you worked with MDF? Regular wood screw do not hold very well in it.
There are special screws/inserts that will hold much better.
http://www.mcfeelys.com/multiple.asp?productID=9015-HD
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

the_wise_elder

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"the_wise_elder" wrote in message
I'm considering building an entertainment unit for my projection tv,
and I'm wondering if I use white MDF and the same trim as my fireplace
if it will look good? Or will it cause the room to look oddly
consistent....the design for the entertainment unit looks like this:

It would look just fine but it may also fall apart.

MDF is not a very good material for parts of an entertainment center. It
may be OK for doors and trim, but I'd not use it for shelving or anything
prone to flexing. Plywood is better for that. MDF is also very heavy!

Have you worked with MDF? Regular wood screw do not hold very well in it.
There are special screws/inserts that will hold much better.
http://www.mcfeelys.com/multiple.asp?productID=9015-HD
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Thanks for all your help guys. I'll have to make some changes to my
materials, but the overall design I think is still a go. Thanks again.

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Dados and trim saw blade design information??? Eric Anderson Woodworking 1 April 26th 04 12:27 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Ownership 2 March 25th 04 07:03 PM
Quick question - double glazing - felt trim on sliding doors John Kelly UK diy 2 February 15th 04 10:15 PM
Is there a machine to paint trim/baseboard ? Mark & Shauna Home Repair 20 July 26th 03 02:35 PM