DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Trim Question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/124468-trim-question.html)

the_wise_elder October 11th 05 08:05 PM

Trim Question

I have a fireplace mantle for a gas fireplace insert which has white
trim. It looks a *lot* like the fireplace in this pictu

http://www.diamondcase.com/Evolution..._Fireplace.jpg

I'm considering building an entertainment unit for my projection tv,
and I'm wondering if I use white MDF and the same trim as my fireplace
if it will look good? Or will it cause the room to look oddly
consistent....the design for the entertainment unit looks like this:

http://audiovideocity.com/Furniture/ventw1.jpg

Imagine that unit in white with the fireplace trim. If anyone knows if
this is a bad idea, please let me know...

Edwin Pawlowski October 12th 05 12:38 AM

Trim Question

"the_wise_elder" wrote in message
I'm considering building an entertainment unit for my projection tv,
and I'm wondering if I use white MDF and the same trim as my fireplace
if it will look good? Or will it cause the room to look oddly
consistent....the design for the entertainment unit looks like this:

It would look just fine but it may also fall apart.

MDF is not a very good material for parts of an entertainment center. It
may be OK for doors and trim, but I'd not use it for shelving or anything
prone to flexing. Plywood is better for that. MDF is also very heavy!

Have you worked with MDF? Regular wood screw do not hold very well in it.
There are special screws/inserts that will hold much better.
http://www.mcfeelys.com/multiple.asp?productID=9015-HD
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

the_wise_elder October 12th 05 06:23 PM

Trim Question

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"the_wise_elder" wrote in message
I'm considering building an entertainment unit for my projection tv,
and I'm wondering if I use white MDF and the same trim as my fireplace
if it will look good? Or will it cause the room to look oddly
consistent....the design for the entertainment unit looks like this:

It would look just fine but it may also fall apart.

MDF is not a very good material for parts of an entertainment center. It
may be OK for doors and trim, but I'd not use it for shelving or anything
prone to flexing. Plywood is better for that. MDF is also very heavy!

Have you worked with MDF? Regular wood screw do not hold very well in it.
There are special screws/inserts that will hold much better.
http://www.mcfeelys.com/multiple.asp?productID=9015-HD
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Thanks for all your help guys. I'll have to make some changes to my
materials, but the overall design I think is still a go. Thanks again.