Default BTU's in a propane bottle?? Anyone??

Hi,

I want to use a 10,000BTU propane, non-vented, wall mount radiant
heater. Having an all eletric home means no gas tank outside.

Can anyone tell me how long I might be able to run one of these at full
10,000BTU from a standard BBQ propane tank.

Are we talking hours days or weeks??

Thanks

Dave, I can't do that

Thanks Doug,

I did a few searches but your "heat content" was the key, I got so many
hits it was useless with the searches I did. DUH!! Slapping myself on
the forehead.

I will see if the tank is marked with "gallons."

Given the gallons though, what do I do with them and 90K/gal? I think
the tanks are around 5 gallons. I'll go look.

I need to look up exactly what BTU is, (other than British Thermal
Units ;-O), but is that rating for the heater per hour or minute or
what?

Thanks so far though.

Dave

Brian V

"Dave, I can't do that" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Doug,

I did a few searches but your "heat content" was the key, I got so many
hits it was useless with the searches I did. DUH!! Slapping myself on
the forehead.

I will see if the tank is marked with "gallons."

Given the gallons though, what do I do with them and 90K/gal? I think
the tanks are around 5 gallons. I'll go look.

I need to look up exactly what BTU is, (other than British Thermal
Units ;-O), but is that rating for the heater per hour or minute or
what?

Thanks so far though.

Dave

Standard tank 20#
4.24# per gallon
20/4.24=4.72 gallons
4.72*91547=432101.84 btu per 20# tank
432101.84/10000= 43.2 hrs running at full blast

Doug Miller

In article .com, "Dave, I can't do that" wrote:
Thanks Doug,

I did a few searches but your "heat content" was the key, I got so many
hits it was useless with the searches I did. DUH!! Slapping myself on
the forehead.

I will see if the tank is marked with "gallons."

Given the gallons though, what do I do with them and 90K/gal? I think
the tanks are around 5 gallons. I'll go look.

I need to look up exactly what BTU is, (other than British Thermal
Units ;-O), but is that rating for the heater per hour or minute or
what?

Like I said in my initial response... it's per hour.

Tank holds 'x' gallons.
One gallon supplies 90K BTU.
Heater burns 10K BTU per hour.
Do the math.

--
Regards,

Marc

Dave, I can't do that wrote:

Thanks Doug,
I need to look up exactly what BTU is, (other than British Thermal
Units ;-O), but is that rating for the heater per hour or minute or
what?

Good ol' Google: definition BTU
The amount of heat required to raise 1-lb of water 1-degF

--
--Marc

Stormin Mormon

A small infared heater is supposed to put out 3,500 BTU for 7 hours on a one
pound (16 ounce) propane bottle. Hope that's of some help.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I want to use a 10,000BTU propane, non-vented, wall mount radiant
heater. Having an all eletric home means no gas tank outside.

Can anyone tell me how long I might be able to run one of these at full
10,000BTU from a standard BBQ propane tank.

Are we talking hours days or weeks??

Thanks

boden

A 20# cylinder contains about 4.8 gallons of propane. This will give
you a total capacity of 441,600 BTU. You can get 30 to 33 hours of
operation IF the outside temperature is above +10F. If the temperature
drops below +10F you're out of luck.

As the propane boils in the cylinder it gets cooler. If the outside
temperature is warm enough enough heat will flow into the cylinder to
enable the boiling (vaporization of propane) to continue. For a 20#
cylinder, 25% full, 10,000 BTU/hr is the maximum rate at which you can
extract propane for heating. If the fuel is butane the time is quite a
bit less.

Boden

wrote:
Hi,

I want to use a 10,000BTU propane, non-vented, wall mount radiant
heater. Having an all eletric home means no gas tank outside.

Can anyone tell me how long I might be able to run one of these at full
10,000BTU from a standard BBQ propane tank.

Are we talking hours days or weeks??

Thanks

Stormin Mormon

A BTU, British thermal Unit, is the ammount of heat necessary to raise one
pound of tea (well, really water) one degree farenheit.

As opposed to a calorie which is the heat needed to raise a gram of water
one degee centigrade.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"Dave, I can't do that" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Doug,

I need to look up exactly what BTU is, (other than British Thermal
Units ;-O), but is that rating for the heater per hour or minute or
what?

Thanks so far though.

Dave

Edwin Pawlowski

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
A BTU, British thermal Unit, is the ammount of heat necessary to raise one
pound of tea (well, really water) one degree farenheit.

As opposed to a calorie which is the heat needed to raise a gram of water
one degee centigrade.

252 calories = 1 Btu

100,000 Btu = 1 therm

George E. Cawthon

Brian V wrote:
[...]

The standard tank is 20# or 5 gallons. With the
new valves they can only put 4.5 gallons in the
tank.
Bob G.

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 23:19:39 -0400, boden wrote:

A 20# cylinder contains about 4.8 gallons of propane. This will give
you a total capacity of 441,600 BTU. You can get 30 to 33 hours of
operation IF the outside temperature is above +10F. If the temperature
drops below +10F you're out of luck.

I do not follow the above reasoning...about what the outside tempature
....the freezing temp of Propane is like minus 400 or so degrees....not
really sure but real real low...and the boiling point is about Minus
40 degrees...

As the propane boils in the cylinder it gets cooler.

Again I just do not understand ...it boils yes...and the resulting
vapor is what you burn...

If the outside
temperature is warm enough enough heat will flow into the cylinder to
enable the boiling (vaporization of propane) to continue. For a 20#
cylinder, 25% full, 10,000 BTU/hr is the maximum rate at which you can
extract propane for heating. If the fuel is butane the time is quite a
bit less.

Boden

Sorry but this old guy is not a rocket scientest by any means...but I
can tell you that you can store a 20 pound cylinder of propane in your
house hold freezer and the propane will still be well above its
boiling tempature...
============================

That said... I heat my shop with Propane....(116,000 BTU gas furnace
converted to burn propane)... I burn about 300 gallons...of propane a
year...

Bob G.

Jim Elbrecht

"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

wrote:
Hi,

I want to use a 10,000BTU propane, non-vented, wall mount radiant
heater. Having an all eletric home means no gas tank outside.

Can anyone tell me how long I might be able to run one of these at
full 10,000BTU from a standard BBQ propane tank.

Are we talking hours days or weeks??

Thanks

I would personally worry about having one of those tanks inside the
house with temporary hoses hooking it up.

So would his fire insurance company. It is illegal, too. [anything
over 1 pound of LP has to remain outside.]

I love my ventless propane heater-- but for the sake of yourself &
any humans you hold dear, have the gas company hook it up for you.
[mine charged less for the installation than I would have paid for the
parts at the local borg. also- LP gas is cheaper delivered in bulk
than carted around in those BBQ bottles.]

Jim

Dave, I can't do that

Thanks Brian,

Thanks to everyone who responded. Concencus seems to be about 40 hours
or in that vicinity.

I'll check with my insurance agent on the gas bottle inside. I can
always drill a hole through the wall and run a hose with bottle outside
on the patio.

As to the few comments on non-vented they are as safe as any other form
of heating. Modern ones have an ODS (Oxygen Depletion Sensor) that
shuts gas off before CO gets too high. Of course I would still have a
Nighthawk CO sensor which actually has a readout of the levels rather
than just a warning beeper if too high.

Thanks again guys, I will wive it a shot.

Dave

Goedjn

A BTU, British thermal Unit, is the ammount of heat necessary to raise one
pound of tea (well, really water) one degree farenheit.

As opposed to a calorie which is the heat needed to raise a gram of water
one degee centigrade.

Unless of course, you're eating them (the calories),
in which case, they're one thousand times as big.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Goedjn" wrote in message

A BTU, British thermal Unit, is the ammount of heat necessary to raise one
pound of tea (well, really water) one degree farenheit.

As opposed to a calorie which is the heat needed to raise a gram of water
one degee centigrade.

Unless of course, you're eating them (the calories),
in which case, they're one thousand times as big.

This just begs the question:
How many Btus in a fart? The gas is methane so it heating value

Wayne Whitney

On 2005-10-11, Bob G wrote:

Sorry but this old guy is not a rocket scientest by any means...but I
can tell you that you can store a 20 pound cylinder of propane in your
house hold freezer and the propane will still be well above its
boiling tempature...

Yes, absolutely. I think the issue is one of rates--if you are trying
to draw propane out too quickly, the environment around the tank may
not be able to supply enough heat quickly enough to keep up with the
heat requirement to boil the liquid propane.

Cheers, Wayne
Stormin Mormon

Didn't I see this in a MAD magazine?

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

This just begs the question:
How many Btus in a fart? The gas is methane so it heating value

Robertm

"Dave, I can't do that" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks Brian,

Thanks to everyone who responded. Concencus seems to be about 40 hours
or in that vicinity.

I'll check with my insurance agent on the gas bottle inside. I can
always drill a hole through the wall and run a hose with bottle outside
on the patio.

As to the few comments on non-vented they are as safe as any other form
of heating. Modern ones have an ODS (Oxygen Depletion Sensor) that
shuts gas off before CO gets too high. Of course I would still have a
Nighthawk CO sensor which actually has a readout of the levels rather
than just a warning beeper if too high.

Thanks again guys, I will wive it a shot.

Dave

Some states still have code from 30 years ago and still deem unvented to be
unsafe. Safe or not, you must stay within the code. Some states allow only
small unvented heaters in a sleeping area but ok for larger unvented in
non-sleeping areas. Aside from CO, unvented burns any particles or fumes in
the room and vents that to the room so California has declared them to be a
cancer causing agent. From experience, don't light them for a few days after
using oil based paint or contact cement. Long after the danger of explosive
fumes has gone, the byproducts of combustion can still be nasty. Liquid
Nails will emit fumes for two weeks that when burned cause an irritating
cough.

Bob