PipeDown

Default plastic pallet wrap

This may seem like a silly idea but it may help someone during the next
hurricane.

It seems to me that plastic stretch wrap commonly used to wrap pallets could
be used to wrap a small house, detached garage or vehicle (esp a mobile home
or trailer) to protect it from high winds and some water (certainly not a
deep water flood). It should be very effective at keeping siding in place
and protecting the eves of roofs where wind often gets a hold of the
structure and rips stuff off. It could cost less than plywood and be
applied fairly quickly. It would prevent wind from entering even broken
windows and if employed with sand bagging, may extend the flood line of a
structure up several feet or more. You could even apply it selectively to
structures to keep fragile trim in place during wind storms.

On the other hand, if applied slopply, you could end up rigging your house
with a sail.

Has anyone ever seen anyone try this, or even considered it?

Just my 2 cents for today

Pop

No, but I have to admit, that's an interesting concept.
Something tells me there must be a cacth, but I can't think of
one that couldn't be overcome. eg loose ends & edges.

ink.net...
:
[...]

Michael Daly

On 6-Oct-2005, "Pop" wrote:

Something tells me there must be a cacth, but I can't think of
one that couldn't be overcome. eg loose ends & edges.

Two things come immediately to mind - how well does it hold up when
250kph winds get under it? and how reistant to tearing is it if it's
been punctured by high speed junk?

Mike
Chuck B.

PipeDown wrote:
[...]

They could use it on the shuttle to keep the foam from falling off, too.
just 2 more cents.