Walter R.

Default Soundproofing furnace

I have a one story rancher. My NG furnace is in the attic above the family
room. It is very noisy because it sits right on a 1/2" plywood platform on
top of the floor joists in the attic.

I am replacing the furnace. What is the best way of making sure that the new
furnace will be very quiet?

Carpet underlayment? Thicker plywood? Special soundproofing material? Put
the furnace on springs?

Thank for any input
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Dr. Hardcrab

"Walter R." wrote in message
I have a one story rancher. My NG furnace is in the attic above the family
room. It is very noisy because it sits right on a 1/2" plywood platform on
top of the floor joists in the attic.

I am replacing the furnace. What is the best way of making sure that the
new furnace will be very quiet?

Carpet underlayment? Thicker plywood? Special soundproofing material? Put
the furnace on springs?

Thank for any input
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

See if they offer a furnace with a variable speed motor. Also, if the unit
can be "hung" from the trusses OR vibration pads put under the unit my help
ease the noise problem.....

Amun

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"Walter R." wrote in message
I have a one story rancher. My NG furnace is in the attic above the

family
room. It is very noisy because it sits right on a 1/2" plywood platform

on
top of the floor joists in the attic.

I am replacing the furnace. What is the best way of making sure that the
new furnace will be very quiet?

Carpet underlayment? Thicker plywood? Special soundproofing material?

Put
the furnace on springs?

Thank for any input
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

See if they offer a furnace with a variable speed motor. Also, if the unit
can be "hung" from the trusses OR vibration pads put under the unit my

help
ease the noise problem.....

The OP might also look into getting a piece of duct with a rubber vibration
"isolator", most sheet metal places can make them up for you fairly cheap.

AMUN

Joseph Meehan

Walter R. wrote:
I have a one story rancher. My NG furnace is in the attic above the
family room. It is very noisy because it sits right on a 1/2" plywood
platform on top of the floor joists in the attic.

I am replacing the furnace. What is the best way of making sure that
the new furnace will be very quiet?

Carpet underlayment? Thicker plywood? Special soundproofing material?
Put the furnace on springs?

Thank for any input

http://www.soundproofing.org/

May offer some helpful information and products.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

George E. Cawthon

Walter R. wrote:
I have a one story rancher. My NG furnace is in the attic above the family
room. It is very noisy because it sits right on a 1/2" plywood platform on
top of the floor joists in the attic.

I am replacing the furnace. What is the best way of making sure that the new
furnace will be very quiet?

Carpet underlayment? Thicker plywood? Special soundproofing material? Put
the furnace on springs?

Thank for any input

Whatever you do make sure the furnace is not
vibrating a panel. Carpet underlayment works well
to reduce vibration transmission. Thicker,
heavier, isolated are the key words.