Darrell Crone

Default Water Damage Ins Adjuster / Claim

Greetings all..
Let me give you the lowdown. Last Friday came home (Live in Northwest
IL) and it was raining cats and dogs. Walked into my kitchen looking
out the window thinking it was really coming down, then I noticed it
was really coming down "IN MY HOUSE" in and around the window frame.
After I was able to mop up the mess after the rain had stopped I was
able to see I had water damage on my ceiling as well as the walls
themselves, under and around my counter/Sink and the walls felt like
Mush.
Saturday I was able to get up on my roof and found out that a
"HORNETS" nest had grown in my Downspout from our gutters out of site.
This blocked the drainege and the water got up in the roofing under the
shingles.

While walking on my roof, I almost fell through around a soft spot
that was not there previously.

I clean my gutters twice a year, spring as well as fall to prevent
problems with runoff/Icing.

Called my insurance company (USAA) who are sending a adjuster to look
at the mess. They guy on the phone says that the roof problem might
not be related, and might be a 2nd claim???

What do I do to prepare for the adjuster to get this done right? Any
info is appreciated.

Thanks!
Darrell Crone

Called my insurance company (USAA) who are sending a adjuster to look
at the mess. They guy on the phone says that the roof problem might
not be related, and might be a 2nd claim???

What do I do to prepare for the adjuster to get this done right? Any
info is appreciated.

Thanks!
Darrell Crone

The damage is already done, and that's what the adjuster will be there to
see. You might make a list of everything you've seen, and also what you
can't see, just so you don't forget anything. My one experience with a claim
like that proved the adjuster to be very adept. The payoff was very, very
close to the actual cost of repairs ... within just a dollar or so on almost
3K of damage.

I doubt that his remark about multiple claims means much to you other than
an extra signature somewhere. He's probably thinking the cause of the roof
damage is separate and distinct from the bee damage, and that shouldn't
imply that either claim is invalid, but only that they'll account for them
differently. These people settle claims all day, every day, and I doubt
that you'll have any problem as long as you don't try to kid them about the
cost of things. Don't hesitate to point out ALL the damage that you see,
but otherwise don't talk too much.

Good luck with it.

Keith

Charles Spitzer

"k" wrote in message
nk.net...

[...]

2 claims means 2 deductibles, and 2 dings on your house report the next time
insurance renewal time comes up.

Richard J Kinch

Darrell Crone writes:

Saturday I was able to get up on my roof and found out that a
"HORNETS" nest had grown in my Downspout from our gutters out of site.
This blocked the drainege and the water got up in the roofing under the
shingles.

Home insurance generally only covers sudden damage, which this isn't. The
theory is you had time to notice the insect problem and do something about
it.

Sounds like problems with builder/installers/materials.

No way a blocked downspout should send water through roof deck,
installed any way I can conceive of. Most especially as you describe.

Look at weakened roof decking from below. Is it wet, or deteriorated
from having been wet? Pursue the source and responsible party.

If the materials are simply defective, check for class-action suits on
record.

Roof leaks are often very difficult to trace to the source, but it can
be done. Else, they will be back.

HTH,

MLD

"Darrell Crone" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

What you might need to have an insurable claim is a missing, torn, disrupted
shingle. Inside water damage usually has to be associated with a roofing
defect. Check your policy to find out exactly what it takes to cover your
damage--the adjuster is not gong to do anything that favors you. If you
look hard enough you should find a damaged shingle that is the cause of your
problem(s).
MLD

Darrell Crone

Well after going up on the roof I think I found the section that was
the probelm as I almost fell through the roof. The tiles are all
intact etc.. but I almost fell through a soft spot that was not there
before.
I have the Adjuster coming over tomorrow, will update after..
Thanks!
Darrell

Tankless water heaters Edward Grant Home Repair 11 September 13th 05 12:42 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 09:59 PM
Why is this a bad idea? Mike Hibbert UK diy 18 August 28th 03 11:59 PM