Vince

Default Outline the Procedure for Me

Please outline a procedure for me to follow to change an existing
bathroom door from an inside RH swing to an outside swing ?

dadiOH

Vince wrote:
Please outline a procedure for me to follow to change an existing
bathroom door from an inside RH swing to an outside swing ?

Frankly, I don't remember which is LH and which is RH but if you just
want to rotate the door 180 degrees (without moving the hinge placement
on the door) so it would swing out rather than in (but in the opposite
direction) you would have to do nothing to the door itself but you'd
have to replace both vertical jambs because the hinge and lock mortices
are in the wrong places. You could just swap positions of the jambs.
You'd have to reverse the lockset too.

If you wanted to rotate the door and have it swing in the opposite
direction to the above, you'd have to extend the door hinge mortices so
the hinge pivot would be on the opposite side of the door. Ditto with
the jamb hinge mortices. You'd have to make a new mortice for the lock
set in the opposite jamb (or replace it). This would be easier than the
first instance as the hinge mortice spacing is already set...you'd just
have to saw across the existing mortices to the same depth. That would
leave you with the old mortices which you could fill with wood dutchmen
and paint.

In both cases, you would most likely have to move the door stops...the
thin pieces on the side & top jambs against which the door closes.

Taking off/moving/replacing the jambs could be tricky if you've never
done it...it would be just like hanging a new door. You'd need to take
off the casings too so when you replace/move the jambs you can wedge
them parallel to each other and perpendicular to the wall. They need to
be 100% right else the door won't work well.

But before you jump into all that, see my last post to your original
thread.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Lawrence Glickman

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 13:41:36 GMT, Vince
wrote:

Please outline a procedure for me to follow to change an existing
bathroom door from an inside RH swing to an outside swing ?

flip the hinges 180 degrees??

Please outline a procedure for me to follow to change an existing
bathroom door from an inside RH swing to an outside swing ?

Easiest way would be to tear out the door jamb and install a new
prehung LH door oriented with the hinges on the same jamb side as your
existing RH door but facing into the hallway, or whatever the door
connects the bathroom to.

Otherwise sharpen your wood chisels and hope the door closes right when
you're done.

What's the idea anyway? My thinking is that bathroom doors open inward
for a reason, but I'm drawing a blank here.

Sacramento Dave

"Vince" wrote in message

Please outline a procedure for me to follow to change an existing
bathroom door from an inside RH swing to an outside swing ?

The easiest is to tear the whole thing out casing door trim. Then go buy a

pre hung door. You will save time, the frustration level will drop at least
80% and I guarantee it will look better.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...

My thinking is that bathroom doors open inward
for a reason, but I'm drawing a blank here.

For starters, you don't whack someone in the hallway when you open the door.
I don't know if there are any codes on that.

Robert Allison

Vince wrote:

Please outline a procedure for me to follow to change an existing
bathroom door from an inside RH swing to an outside swing ?

Remove the casing.

Remove the door and jamb.

Turn door and jamb 180 degrees.

Reinstall door and jamb.

Reinstall casing.

Remove doorstop and reinstall at new proper location.

Fill nail holes.

Spot paint with matching paint or repaint entire jamb.

Done.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Amun

"Robert Allison" wrote in message
Vince wrote:

Please outline a procedure for me to follow to change an existing
bathroom door from an inside RH swing to an outside swing ?

Remove the casing.

Remove the door and jamb.

Turn door and jamb 180 degrees.

Reinstall door and jamb.

Reinstall casing.

Remove doorstop and reinstall at new proper location.

Fill nail holes.

Spot paint with matching paint or repaint entire jamb.

Done.

Ya, but now the poor OP's door is upside down.
And still swings the wrong way,....just from the other side though.

AMUN

Robert Allison

Vince wrote:

Please outline a procedure for me to follow to change an existing
bathroom door from an inside RH swing to an outside swing ?

Remove the casing.

Remove the door and jamb.

Turn door and jamb 180 degrees.

Reinstall door and jamb.

Reinstall casing.

Remove doorstop and reinstall at new proper location.

Fill nail holes.

Spot paint with matching paint or repaint entire jamb.

Done.

Ya, but now the poor OP's door is upside down.
And still swings the wrong way,....just from the other side though.

AMUN

It just goes to show that you can't make anything foolproof,
cuz fools are too ingenious.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.