Quadzilla

Default SONY KP57HW40 what is the focus block install procedure?

I have a one year old projection tv that had to have the focus
block replaced. The block has 6 knobs, 3 to focus each color and 3 for
what I think is the amount of each color or something similar. The
service tech came over and installed it by copying the settings on the
old block for the color adjustment and focusing it by turning all the
color down with the remote and focusing a black and white picture.
This does not seem like the correct procedure. After he left I reset
all the modes of the tv, eg Movie, Pro, Standard. The color is too
strong on all these standard setting and the picture just looks like
crap. I was thinking he would hookup some electronics to take
measurements or something. Anyway 2 weeks later the colors on the tv
are all messed up. Lots of green terrible picture. We have another
call in for service and I would like to know what the correct
procedure is.

Does anyone know what the Sony service manual states?

Leonard G. Caillouet

Have the tech show you that he has a Sony manual, show you the procedure and
explain what he is donig as he goes through it. That way you will know if
he knows what he is doing and that he is using the correct procedure. If he
can't or won't, youare dealing with the wrong servicer.

IMO it is completely reasonable for you to have procedures applied to your
set of this nature explained and demonstrated. If your questioning of his
work is of a nature that it requires extra time to complete the job,
however, you should expect to pay a bit more. It should not take any longer
to show you what he is doing, if you are reasonable and have some
understanding of electronics.

You also need to make sure that he is Sony authorized and is using the right
part and has all of the service bulletins on your set.

Leonard Caillouet

"Quadzilla" wrote in message

[...]

Mike

The Tech called and spoke with the wife. After answering his questions
about the problems with the color he said that the picture tubes
needed to be replaced. No service call or anyting. That SONY extended
the manufactures warranty on TV's that had to have the focus block
replaced. So the procedure is covered under warranty. We did buy the
extended 3 year warranty too. He said it was a 4 hour job.

Does anyone know what the procedure for replacing picture tubes?
Should this guy come with any electronic measuring devices to
install/Focus these tubes?

Anyone know where I can get the service manual for this set? KP57HW40

"Quadzilla" wrote in message

[...]

James Sweet

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
The Tech called and spoke with the wife. After answering his questions
about the problems with the color he said that the picture tubes
needed to be replaced. No service call or anyting. That SONY extended
the manufactures warranty on TV's that had to have the focus block
replaced. So the procedure is covered under warranty. We did buy the
extended 3 year warranty too. He said it was a 4 hour job.

Does anyone know what the procedure for replacing picture tubes?
Should this guy come with any electronic measuring devices to
install/Focus these tubes?

Anyone know where I can get the service manual for this set? KP57HW40

You can buy a service manual but it'll be pricey, probably over $100. The
procedure varies by set, but generally it's just a complex disasembly
followed by reassembling everything back the way it was, a few optical
adjustments then going through the dynamic convergence adjustment, generally
doesn't require any special tools, just experience, patience, and knowledge
of the procedure. If you try to do it yourself you'll likely spend hours and
still not have it perfect.

Shoreline Electronics

CRT's have been an issue......note the following tip: Check your serial
number

Text pasted from WinSTIPS 2.0
http://www.ServiceSoftware.com

SONY KP57HW40

Video Flickering On Dark Scenes Or Hue Changes To Yellow / Green

This Only Occurs On Units With Serial Numbers Starting With 90xxxx. Also, Be
Aware There Are Different Crt'S Used In This Model Depending On The Serial
Numbers. If The Customer Has This Symptom, Refer To The Sony Service Manual
Supplement -1 For The Correct Crt Part#. (The Part#'S In The Original Sm Are
For Models Not Starting With Serial Number 90xxxx.... Also, The Procedure
For Adjusting The New Crt Is Different Then The Original Procedure.)

The Symptoms Are That The Background Brightness May Have A Subtle Flickering
In The Picture Or That The Picture Has Large Shift Of Hue Due To Low Output
Of One Of The Crt'S And Cannot Be Corrected By Hue Control In The Menu. The
Flickering In The Picture Is Caused By Leakage Current, And The Hue Shift
(Low Output Of One Crt) Is Caused By The Ik Range.

The Cure For The "White Balance (Hue) Change" Symptom Is To Change R508
(Origionally A 1k) And R507 (Origionally A 3.3k) On The A Board To 2.2k Chip
Resistors P/N 1-216-825-91.

For The "Picture Flickers At Dark Scene" Symptom, Change Heater Voltage
Dropping Resistor R8061 On The D Board To A 1.8 Ohm Metal Oxide P/N
1-216-392-11

Note: If Symptom Of Flickering In Picture Is Still Present After The
Resistor Change Then All Three Crt'S Should Be Replaced. White Balance And
G-2 Should Be Re-Adjusted When Necessary.

==========================
Jeff Stielau
Shoreline Electronics Repair
344 East Main Street
Clinton,CT 06413
860-399-1861
860-664-3535 (fax)

========================
"If you push something hard enough it will fall over."
Fudd's First Law of Opposition - Sir Sidney Fudd

"Quadzilla" wrote in message

[...]

Mike

Thaks for the reply everyone. I did make a mistake on the model
number, I believe mine is a KP57WS500. Sony 57 inch wide screen. Not
that it might matter.

So according to this bulitin this guy should replace some other parts
before replacing the CRT's?

If he does not could this happen again? Maybe ruin the CRT's again.

Should this guy show up with some kind of AVIA DVD to help him focus
this thing?

Thanks All

"Quadzilla" wrote in message

[...]

Leonard G. Caillouet

There may be a couple of resistors that need to be changed on the A board.
There are some service bulletins that the tech should know about and he
needs to have done some homework on the alignments if he has not done one.
The model number and serical number are very important, as are the symptom,
to determine what might be appropriate resolution of the problem.

Why did he replace the focus block?

Leonard Caillouet

om...

"Quadzilla" wrote in message

[...]

Mike

The Focus block was replaced because there were thin white lines
arcing across the screen on every vid mode. Like there were 6 half
circles inside each other climbing up the screen 3 inches apart. The
focus block fixed the problem but then I got the hue shift thing. I'll
look into the serial number and check to see if I have the flicker.

"Leonard G. Caillouet" wrote in message ...
There may be a couple of resistors that need to be changed on the A board.
There are some service bulletins that the tech should know about and he
needs to have done some homework on the alignments if he has not done one.
The model number and serical number are very important, as are the symptom,
to determine what might be appropriate resolution of the problem.

Why did he replace the focus block?

Leonard Caillouet

om...