Magnum

Default 75 degree C - Wiring requirement

I just started to install a new Bathroom ceiling light fixture when I read a
caution sticker that reads: "Min 75 degrees C supply conductors. CAUTION:
Risk of Fire. Most Dwellings built before 1985 have supply wire rated 60
degrees C. Consult a qualified Electrician before installing."

My house was built in 1982 so I'm guessing the wiring is rated for 60
degrees. How can I check this? Do all new lighting fixtures have this
rating requirement?

thanks for an answer.

Chris Lewis

According to Magnum :
I just started to install a new Bathroom ceiling light fixture when I read a
caution sticker that reads: "Min 75 degrees C supply conductors. CAUTION:
Risk of Fire. Most Dwellings built before 1985 have supply wire rated 60
degrees C. Consult a qualified Electrician before installing."

My house was built in 1982 so I'm guessing the wiring is rated for 60
degrees. How can I check this? Do all new lighting fixtures have this
rating requirement?

Most plastic insulation residential wire has a temperature rating stamped
on it. Examine the wire for this circuit and see if you can find the stamp.

--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Tim Fischer

"Magnum" wrote in message
My house was built in 1982 so I'm guessing the wiring is rated for 60
degrees. How can I check this? Do all new lighting fixtures have this
rating requirement?

Not all fixtures, but many. I'm really not sure if the fixtures are
different, or if they just made the requirements more strict now.

If you have access above the room, it would be pretty easy to fix -- just
add a new junction box in the attic, run the old wire to it, then run a new
wire (75 degree) from there to the fixture.

-Tim