Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Adam Preble

Default Anything I should watch for in shutting off the water main

The shutoff valves under my kitchen sink are busted. The hot is stuck
open and both generally look bad. I plan to install new ones while
replacing the hose attachment. Furthermore, the cold water utility
valve is leaking. I have quite the work ahead of me.

I think I've located the water main. There's a large-diameter PVC pipe
poking out beside the driveway. If that's not it, then I guess I'll
have to call the utility company. One way or another, the water main
has to be shut down while I do most of the repairs--the hose can come
after the new valves work.

I'm curious how the water heater plays into all of this. The last thing
I need is water--especially the hot water--sprayed into my face when I
pull the old shutoff valves. Is there anything I need to do in relation
to my hot water heater to complete the shutoff?