Jmagerl

There is usually a shut off on either side of the water meter. Since they
probably havent been turned in many years they are probably in just as bad
shape as the other valves. In my town if you call the city, they will come
out and find the outside access point for you and turn it off on request.

"HorneTD" wrote in message
nk.net...
Adam Preble wrote:
The shutoff valves under my kitchen sink are busted. The hot is stuck
open and both generally look bad. I plan to install new ones while
replacing the hose attachment. Furthermore, the cold water utility valve
is leaking. I have quite the work ahead of me.

I think I've located the water main. There's a large-diameter PVC pipe
poking out beside the driveway. If that's not it, then I guess I'll have
to call the utility company. One way or another, the water main has to
be shut down while I do most of the repairs--the hose can come after the
new valves work.

I'm curious how the water heater plays into all of this. The last thing
I need is water--especially the hot water--sprayed into my face when I
pull the old shutoff valves. Is there anything I need to do in relation
to my hot water heater to complete the shutoff?

Make sure you shut off the water heater before you shut off the water.
Open the highest and lowest valves to allow the water to drain from the
pipes.
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.