Joe

Default dry well cost?

I just dug out a dry well for my washing machine. The hole was dug by hand
approximately six feet deep and six feet round. I used 57 blocks with a 3
foot cover. I was wondering how much I saved by doing this myself. Thanks

Richard J Kinch

Joe writes:

I just dug out a dry well for my washing machine. The hole was dug by
hand approximately six feet deep and six feet round. I used 57 blocks
with a 3 foot cover. I was wondering how much I saved by doing this
myself.

I was wondering if you're violating code.

I just dug out a dry well for my washing machine. The hole was dug by hand
approximately six feet deep and six feet round. I used 57 blocks with a 3
foot cover. I was wondering how much I saved by doing this myself. Thanks

Sounds like fun but what is your time worth and where are you located?
If you say NJ you are probably in violation of some code.

Sounds like fun but what is your time worth and where are you located?
If you say NJ you are probably in violation of some code.

Assuming of course you pulled the appropriate permits.

I hope you realize that there is solid material (lint, dirt, etc.) that
gets pumped out of your washing machine. A septic tank, which is
pumped out every so often would have been a better option.

HotRod

I'm sure the tree's are great but this is considered "grey water" and may
not be allowed in some area's. On another note I always use "grey water" and
the phosphates from the soap are great for growth.

SQLit

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Joe writes:

I just dug out a dry well for my washing machine. The hole was dug by
hand approximately six feet deep and six feet round. I used 57 blocks
with a 3 foot cover. I was wondering how much I saved by doing this
myself.

I was wondering if you're violating code.

Where I live dry wells are a big no-no. Any form of "gray-water" use must
be approved by our county. Forget-about-it in the cities.

Richard J Kinch

I still don't see the ecological hazard I am creating.

Dumping sewage into a dry well?

Richard J Kinch wrote:
I still don't see the ecological hazard I am creating.

Dumping sewage into a dry well?

I'm not talking about ecology. Unless you have a way to remove the
solid materials before they get to the the drywell (catch
basin/settling tank) or after they accumulate in the drywell, you will
eventually run into problems.

Also, depending on the location of the drywell, you might have problems
with capacity during heavy rainfalls, regardless of solid material
accumulation.

Richard J Kinch

Where is the "sewage" in a washing machine?

You were born toilet trained?

Richard J Kinch

I have not seen a washable diaper since the Johnson administration.

They are still widely used by those who either believe they are cheaper or
are environmentally desirable.
Richard J Kinch

No babies here ... so it is not an issue.

You are immortal and will never sell the house?

You're OK with your neighbors doing likewise?
Abe

I just dug out a dry well for my washing machine. The hole was dug by hand
approximately six feet deep and six feet round. I used 57 blocks with a 3
foot cover. I was wondering how much I saved by doing this myself. Thanks

Probably about 250-300 dollars.

FACE

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:47:30 -0400, wrote:

On 30 Sep 2005 12:01:47 -0700,
wrote:

I hope you realize that there is solid material (lint, dirt, etc.) that
gets pumped out of your washing machine. A septic tank, which is
pumped out every so often would have been a better option.

Hmmm, dirt on the ground. Sounds like a super fund site to me. The
lint and other organic matter is simply mulch that quickly decomposes.

I still don't see the ecological hazard I am creating.

I don't see an ecological hazard either. Looks like your posting host
is in Naples, FL, at 6 feet deep I guess you are lucky you did not hit
water since last I heard the average elevation of Florida was 2 feet
-- but that's average and you must be higher.

As to all this code stuff, yea, be careful about putting lint and dirt
into dirt. :-) Insofar as codes, I think a lot of it has to do with
how much we want the government to micromanage our lives -- a
government more interested in collecting fees and permit costs than
anything of great "common good". Probably the worst
pollutant you are putting out would be phosphates from the detergents.

I would SWAG that you saved about $300, but am sure that you easily
could have paid well over a $1000 for the job depending on who you
hired to do it and what they used.

Congratulations. Not only did you save some bucks but you have the
satisfaction of knowing that you did it yourself.

(For years I have seen the "what is your time worth" arguments. I
wonder if these people calculate how much it costs for them to sleep
each night.)

FACE
Edwin Pawlowski

"Abe" wrote in message

Probably about 250-300 dollars.

If it is allowed by code. If not, it can cost him many times that for fines
and correction.

Dan

I have not seen a washable diaper since the Johnson administration.

Now that you mention it, I DO recall seeing an old press photo of Robert
MacNamara wearing cloth diapers at a cabinet meeting.

Dan
Amun

"Joe" wrote in message
I just dug out a dry well for my washing machine. The hole was dug by

hand
approximately six feet deep and six feet round. I used 57 blocks with a 3
foot cover. I was wondering how much I saved by doing this myself.

Thanks

Okay that's 57 blocks + backhoe rental, + 4 assistants + one strawboss +
trench reinforcing walls + 3 cases of beer + 2 shovels +travel time + gas +
invoicing fees+ porta potty rental

Hmmm, carry the 7 ,.......

Okay I would have charged you $18,356.39 + tax

Look at how much you saved by doing it yourself !!!!

Now show this post to your wife, and she will probably want a new sofa +
bedroom set from all that money you saved

AMUN

HotRod wrote:
I'm sure the tree's are great but this is considered "grey water" and may
not be allowed in some area's. On another note I always use "grey water" and
the phosphates from the soap are great for growth.

Yeah, the problem with phosphates is that they fertilize the algae in
the water, causing it to overgrow. So even if there were any in the
detergent, it's not like you were pumping arsenic out into the garden.

FACE

wrote:

[...]

I think if you'll check, most detergeants are phosphate free now. In
fact, I was told that phosphates were illegal in Florida laundry soap,
but that might be wrong.

Someone else has mentioned the illegality of phosphates in Florida
detergents, probably that is true. I also remember along about the
80s when popular detergents were being touted as "now phosphate free".
I mentioned it in the post because that was about the worst thing I
could think of as possibly coming from wash water. There are many
things in this world worse than dumping wash water. :-)

FACE

FACE wrote:
There are many
things in this world worse than dumping wash water. :-)

FACE

Until you realize that clothes lint will obliterate drainage properties
in your tiny little hole in the ground in no time.

There's a reason septic tanks are designed the way they are.

G Hensley

Amun wrote:

AMUN

--
WARNING:

Do NOT under any circumstances take advice from an idiot named AMUN.

Regarding tile, electrical, HVAC, painting, drywall, plastering, lawn
mower repair and various other construction issues, AMUN is a clueless
moron. As things go AMUN will dissapear as his kind usually does when
confronted with their bad advice by those who are knowledgeable in their
respective fields. Until then - BEWARE
Amun

"z" wrote in message
oups.com...

HotRod wrote:
I'm sure the tree's are great but this is considered "grey water" and

may
not be allowed in some area's. On another note I always use "grey water"

and
the phosphates from the soap are great for growth.

Yeah, the problem with phosphates is that they fertilize the algae in
the water, causing it to overgrow. So even if there were any in the
detergent, it's not like you were pumping arsenic out into the garden.

Not to mention the obvious fact that the same poster so concerned about some
phosphates in a dry well.
Probably goes out and buys chemical fertilizer to spread all over their
lawn, ....and it's LOADED with phosphates.
one of those mysterious 3 numbers, of which nitrogen, and potash are the
other two

AMUN