Default Dehumidifier sizing

I need to size a dehumidifier for a basement that's about 1,050 sq ft. The
space is irregular but open, and there is a floor drain available. I don't
know how to specify one, and am probably asking the wrong questions on
google. Is there a chart somewhere that will help me size a unit.

This is a damp basement, and for the first time it's smelling moldy (or
maybe just crappy). We rarely go down there, so is a dehumidifier even our
best bet?

thanks,
Keith

Joseph Meehan

k wrote:
I need to size a dehumidifier for a basement that's about 1,050 sq ft.
The space is irregular but open, and there is a floor drain
available. I don't know how to specify one, and am probably asking
the wrong questions on google. Is there a chart somewhere that will
help me size a unit.
This is a damp basement, and for the first time it's smelling moldy
(or maybe just crappy). We rarely go down there, so is a
dehumidifier even our best bet?

thanks,
Keith

It is really hard to say. It depends on how much moisture is coming in.
That is difficult to measure.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Appliance Repair Aid

k wrote:
I need to size a dehumidifier for a basement that's about 1,050 sq ft. The
space is irregular but open, and there is a floor drain available. I don't
know how to specify one, and am probably asking the wrong questions on
google. Is there a chart somewhere that will help me size a unit.

This is a damp basement, and for the first time it's smelling moldy (or
maybe just crappy). We rarely go down there, so is a dehumidifier even our
best bet?

thanks,
Keith

Hi,

I need to size a dehumidifier for a basement that's about 1,050 sq ft.

This might help...
http://www.applianceaid.com/dehumidsize.html

We rarely go down there, so is a dehumidifier even our
best bet?

Having one would be a good idea.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Joseph Meehan

Appliance Repair Aid wrote:
k wrote:
I need to size a dehumidifier for a basement that's about 1,050 sq
ft. The space is irregular but open, and there is a floor drain
available. I don't know how to specify one, and am probably asking
the wrong questions on google. Is there a chart somewhere that will
help me size a unit.

This is a damp basement, and for the first time it's smelling moldy
(or maybe just crappy). We rarely go down there, so is a
dehumidifier even our best bet?

thanks,
Keith

Hi,

I need to size a dehumidifier for a basement that's about 1,050 sq
ft.

This might help...
http://www.applianceaid.com/dehumidsize.html

That is likely about as good a chart as you are going to get. The only
thing likely better might be an experienced professional from your local
area to make a judgment call based on a good amount of experience with like
homes in like conditions.

We rarely go down there, so is a dehumidifier even our
best bet?

Having one would be a good idea.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Goedjn

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 02:18:20 GMT, "k" wrote:

There must be guidelines somewhere, that's what I'm looking for. Moisture
is cumulative, no? I'd like to get rid of what's there (along with the
smell of it), and contain it in the future.

thanks,

Nope. It depends of how the water is getting in, and how much of it
there is. So the depth of the water table, how leaky the walls
doors, and windows are, and whether there's water against the
foundations, the presence or absence of open sumps, and whether
the blowoff valve on your water heater is venting all affect the
question more than how big the space is.

k wrote:
I need to size a dehumidifier for a basement that's about 1,050 sq ft. The
space is irregular but open, and there is a floor drain available. I don't
know how to specify one, and am probably asking the wrong questions on
google. Is there a chart somewhere that will help me size a unit.

This is a damp basement, and for the first time it's smelling moldy (or
maybe just crappy). We rarely go down there, so is a dehumidifier even our
best bet?

thanks,
Keith

My not terribly extensive experience is that if the normal sized
basement is damp enough to notice that it needs a dehumidifier, the
more or less biggest one around (50 or so pints) always ends up running
pretty nearly full time during the damp season, even if the humidistat
is set at 50%. Of course, that means in the dry season it doesn't run
that much.

This might help...
http://www.applianceaid.com/dehumidsize.html

That is likely about as good a chart as you are going to get. The only
thing likely better might be an experienced professional from your local
area to make a judgment call based on a good amount of experience with
like homes in like conditions.

We rarely go down there, so is a dehumidifier even our
best bet?

Having one would be a good idea.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Thanks for the replies, and especially the chart. Our basement is damp, not
really wet. There are no windows or doors to the outside, and it's very
rarely used, thus the musky smell down there. We get some white fluff on
the exposed concrete wall, so I expect the dampness is from a minimal
seepage thru the front wall.

Is it good to oversize? From the chart, a 25 pt unit would take care of a
'very wet' basement the size of ours. Should it be plenty for a slightly
damp space of the same size, or is it a better idea to just buy a big
sucker?

Amun

"k" wrote in message
news

[...]

Just remember that once you have a dehumidifier running for a while you
won't need it as much.

So smaller units (25-30 pint/day) will often work fine. and after the first
week you may even be able to go without it for days at a time once the
humidity is reduced

Also as a general rule higher capacity means, more expensive to buy, more
noise and power consumption.

AMUN

Joseph Meehan

k wrote:
[...]

Well oversize will work better than undersized, but it will be more
expensive to buy and a little less efficient so it will cost a little more
to run. If you are on the edge, I would go larger. If you go too small you
may find you need a second one. BTW the efficiency rating of the larger one
MAY be better than the smaller so it may end up being cheaper. I really
don't know what the likelihood of that is.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Goedjn

Dia duit

Thanks for the replies, and especially the chart. Our basement is damp, not
really wet. There are no windows or doors to the outside, and it's very
rarely used, thus the musky smell down there. We get some white fluff on
the exposed concrete wall, so I expect the dampness is from a minimal
seepage thru the front wall.

Is it good to oversize? From the chart, a 25 pt unit would take care of a
'very wet' basement the size of ours. Should it be plenty for a slightly
damp space of the same size, or is it a better idea to just buy a big
sucker?

Depends on if you can conveniently rig a way for it to drain itself,
or if you have to go down into the basement and empty the damn
bucket every night just before dinner.

Depends on if you can conveniently rig a way for it to drain itself,
or if you have to go down into the basement and empty the damn
bucket every night just before dinner.

I have a floor drain in the right place, or believe me, I wouldn't be asking
these questions. I've just learned from the net that there are
dehumidifiers - low temp units - made specifically for basements. I'll pick
up a 50 pt one tomorrow. Lowes has one with a hose connection, energy star
and all that, two speed and 50 pt capacity. That seems to be about the
minimum basement size available, and it's 200 bucks. I thought I was
looking at more money, so I'm just going to buy one.

Thanks for all the good advice.

Keith

Joseph Meehan

k wrote:
Depends on if you can conveniently rig a way for it to drain itself,
or if you have to go down into the basement and empty the damn
bucket every night just before dinner.

I have a floor drain in the right place, or believe me, I wouldn't be
asking these questions. I've just learned from the net that there are
dehumidifiers - low temp units - made specifically for basements.

Good point. I made the mistake of getting one not marked low temp and
ended up getting a new one so designed for basements. As it turned out
after about three recalls of the old one the finally came up with one last
recall which I installed myself and now the original ones functions just
fine in the basement. I use it as a backup.

I'll pick up a 50 pt one tomorrow. Lowes has one with a hose
connection, energy star and all that, two speed and 50 pt capacity. That
seems to be about the minimum basement size available, and it's
200 bucks. I thought I was looking at more money, so I'm just going
to buy one.
Thanks for all the good advice.

Keith

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:12:33 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

A cupla years ago I was looking for a DH also.
I believe it was the Consumer's mag that said to get the largest one
you can afford. I did that and it worked fine.

Splinter