Benign Vanilla

Default Dehumidifier and Sump Pump

Our sump pump is in the basement laundry room. There is always just a little
bit of water in it. We also keep a dehumidifier in the basement. It doesn't
get wet down there, but in the summer you can smell the moisture. Right now
the dehumidifier is in the kids playroom, where I have to empty it from time
to time. I was thinking of putting the unit in the laundry room, and just
letting the output run to the sump, which when there is enough water, the
sump will send it out of the house.

My concern is this, if I place the dehumidifier in that room, will it simply
be sucking the moisture from the air due to the sump being there and sit in
a viscious circle, or will it still dehumidify the whole basement?

BV.

m Ransley

It will dehumidify the basement, covers are also sold for sumps

Joe Bobst

will it simply be sucking the moisture from the air due to the sump being
there and sit in a viscious circle, or will it still dehumidify the whole
basement?

Not likely. Laws of physics apply here. Evaporative area of the sump is only
about 3 square feet or so. Moisture transmitted through walls and floors is
probably much larger. For a 1200 square foot basement, you'd have about 2000
square feet of evaporative area. A civil engineer could weigh in here and give
figures for possible moisture transmission through various foundation
materials, but if your sump has a cover like most do, you would have to have
its water boiling to equal the floor and wall contribution. HTH

Joe

John Hines

"Benign Vanilla" wrote:

My concern is this, if I place the dehumidifier in that room, will it simply
be sucking the moisture from the air due to the sump being there and sit in
a viscious circle, or will it still dehumidify the whole basement?

It works fine. The dehumidifier generates enough water, that the pump
goes off enough.

As others have pointed out, the sump pit can be covered. It doesn't need
to be sealed real tight.

As to room vs whole basement, that depends on the air circulation
between them. Is the door open? Louvered? etc.
Bob_M

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:25:41 -0500, "Benign Vanilla"
wrote:

Our sump pump is in the basement laundry room. There is always just a little
bit of water in it. We also keep a dehumidifier in the basement. It doesn't
get wet down there, but in the summer you can smell the moisture. Right now
the dehumidifier is in the kids playroom, where I have to empty it from time
to time. I was thinking of putting the unit in the laundry room, and just
letting the output run to the sump, which when there is enough water, the
sump will send it out of the house.

My concern is this, if I place the dehumidifier in that room, will it simply
be sucking the moisture from the air due to the sump being there and sit in
a viscious circle, or will it still dehumidify the whole basement?

BV.

FWIW - we did just the same thing for years and years. We sat our
dehumidifier so that the drain hole was positioned over the corner of
the sump and it would simply drip into there. We ran it 24 hrs for
years and it did a respecible job of keeping the basement's air dry.
It did NOT create just a vicious circle as you state.