Jim

Default 2'' brads for door trim?

Hello All -

Is there any reason I should'nt use brads for trim that is going to be
installed around an interior door? The trim is the light weight
waferboard stuff not actual pine. Seems like it should hold it just
fine. Just for the hell of it, I tacked 2 pieces ofscrap 3/4''
plywood together using only one 2'' brad and I couldn't pull it apart
without the help of a prybar.
Bill Waller

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 16:11:52 GMT, Jim wrote:

Hello All -

Is there any reason I should'nt use brads for trim that is going to be
installed around an interior door? The trim is the light weight
waferboard stuff not actual pine. Seems like it should hold it just
fine. Just for the hell of it, I tacked 2 pieces ofscrap 3/4''
plywood together using only one 2'' brad and I couldn't pull it apart
without the help of a prybar.

I did that with 3/4" oak trim I made for the new door to my downstairs
bathroom. That was a couple of months ago and...so far everything is as tight
as the day I put it in place. I should mention that there are no children in
the house. That could make a difference. :-)
____________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

EXT

Depends on what you are nailing. My trim is 7/8" thick at the outside edge,
the drywall is 5/8" thick, a 2" nail would have only 1/2" of penetration
into the stud. Not enough in my mind.

"Bill Waller" wrote in message
[...]

Jim

The trim is 5/8'' at the outside edge. The drywall is 1/2''. Why can't
I just double up on the number of brads?

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 13:12:57 -0400, "EXT" etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM
wrote:

Depends on what you are nailing. My trim is 7/8" thick at the outside edge,
the drywall is 5/8" thick, a 2" nail would have only 1/2" of penetration
into the stud. Not enough in my mind.

"Bill Waller" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jim" wrote in message
The trim is 5/8'' at the outside edge. The drywall is 1/2''. Why can't
I just double up on the number of brads?

If the depth is not enough you don't have strength to hold no matter how
many you have. You could probably work out the math on surface contact
area, strength differences for different diameters etc and get an answer as
to exactly what you need. If you were to penetrate a 2" nail 1" into the
base you'd have more holding power than 16 brads that penetrate 1/16" into
the base.

Worst case scenario, if the trim loosens you add some 2" nails. For 69¢ you
can buy enough to do a lot of trim. Meantime, the time spent reading and
writing all the posts on this subject you could have had the job done with
either method.

HerHusband

Jim,

Is there any reason I shouldn't use brads for trim that is going to
be installed around an interior door?
The trim is 5/8" at the outside edge. The drywall is 1/2".

I used 2" long 18 gauge brads (in my Porter Cable brad nailer) to attach
all the trim in our house. We have 5/8" thick cedar trim over 1/2" drywall,
and I spaced the brads about every 16". We've been in our house about a
year now with no problems whatsoever. All of the trim is very secure.

The brads leave much smaller holes in the trim than my 15 gauge nailer
does. They're practically invisible unless you specifically look for them.
If you plan to set the nails and fill with putty or something, the hole
size won't make any difference.

Anthony
Jim

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:58:55 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

Meantime, the time spent reading and
writing all the posts on this subject you could have had the job done with
either method.

True, but it's likely that I'll be installing more door/window trim
in the future.
Duane Bozarth

wrote:

Meantime, the time spent reading and
writing all the posts on this subject you could have had the job done with
either method.

True, but it's likely that I'll be installing more door/window trim
in the future.

I'd suggest 2-1/2" if your gun will handle them.
Rudy

The trim is 5/8'' at the outside edge. The drywall is 1/2''. Why can't
I just double up on the number of brads?

I used 2" brads 18GA w/airnailer and the 1X4 window/door casing and 1X5
baseboards went on fine.