Ray

Default garage insulation

Quick question....

Have about 18" of concrete foundation in my garage above the floor level (&
above grade). The walls are finished and partially insulated. I would like
to insulate the concrete & was planning to cover the it with vapour barrier,
frame up a 2x2 "wall" extended down from the already finished walls to just
above the floor. The cavities would be filled with solid styrofoam
insulation, caulked, and the gap between the floor and the 2x2's filled with
expanding foam. Drywall or concrete wall over this.

Good plan or not?

I use the garage to work in and during the winter can see frost forming on
the concrete part of the walls nearest the door which faces north. No
moisture penetration from outside, seems to just be moisture from inside
condensing on the concrete & freezing.

TIA

Ray

Ken

Ray wrote:
[...]

It should help a little, but remember that the concrete floor is a huge
uninsulated heat sink. For well insulated garages, you put down a
layer of rigid foam before pouring the concrete floor to provide a
thermal break between the floor and the ground outside. But of course
you probably can't just lift up your floor, stuff some insulation
underneath, and set it back down. ;-)

Ken

Edwin Pawlowski

"Ray" wrote in message
Quick question....

Have about 18" of concrete foundation in my garage above the floor level
(&
above grade). The walls are finished and partially insulated. I would
like
to insulate the concrete & was planning to cover the it with vapour
barrier,
frame up a 2x2 "wall" extended down from the already finished walls to
just
above the floor. The cavities would be filled with solid styrofoam
insulation, caulked, and the gap between the floor and the 2x2's filled
with
expanding foam. Drywall or concrete wall over this.

Good plan or not?

Yes, good idea. Drywall over top is all you need.