Alpha

Default Asbestos removal

A friend has a house whose heating pipes in the cellar are insulated
with asbestos. Would it be expensive to remove the insulation from the
pipes, and should it be removed?

Thank you

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Edwin Pawlowski

"Alpha" wrote in message
A friend has a house whose heating pipes in the cellar are insulated
with asbestos. Would it be expensive to remove the insulation from the
pipes, and should it be removed?

Thank you

It would be expensive to follow the routine of a professional. Everything
has to be segregated, dust removed, etc. Can be quite involved.

In place, asbestos is not a risk at all. It is only the loose fibers that
you may inhale that pose a risk over time. You can touch it, roll in it,
wear asbestos underwear with no harm. Just don't breath the dust if you cut
it or remove it. I'd just put a coat of paint on it and let it insulate the
pipes as intended. The paint encapsulates it so it will not flake away.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Richard J Kinch

Alpha writes:

Would it be expensive to remove the insulation from the pipes, and should
it be removed?

It will cost the do-it-yourselfer, with enough sense to see through the
hysteria, a few garbage bags. Add $50 for a respirator if you are
paranoid.
Shaun Eli

And the risk of a whole lot of medical costs, lawsuits from neighbors...

Edwin Pawlowski

"Shaun Eli" wrote in message
oups.com...
And the risk of a whole lot of medical costs, lawsuits from neighbors...

See, he was right about paranoia. There is no reason the neighbors have to
know in the first place, and no reason they would be contaminated. If it
was my house, I'd just do it. Hey, come to think of it, I did do that in my
grandparents house years ago. Maybe II was wrong, after all, they did die
years later in their 80's.

Amun

"Shaun Eli" wrote in message
oups.com...
And the risk of a whole lot of medical costs, lawsuits from neighbors...

You mean those neighbors with the emerald green weed free lawn, who spray
more chemicals in their yard than what leaked out of Bophal (sp) a few years
back.
LOL

AMUN

NickySantoro

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 03:14:17 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Alpha" wrote in message
.. .
A friend has a house whose heating pipes in the cellar are insulated
with asbestos. Would it be expensive to remove the insulation from the
pipes, and should it be removed?

Thank you

It would be expensive to follow the routine of a professional. Everything
has to be segregated, dust removed, etc. Can be quite involved.

In place, asbestos is not a risk at all. It is only the loose fibers that
you may inhale that pose a risk over time. You can touch it, roll in it,
wear asbestos underwear with no harm. Just don't breath the dust if you cut
it or remove it. I'd just put a coat of paint on it and let it insulate the
pipes as intended. The paint encapsulates it so it will not flake away.

Excellent advice. I've done as EP suggests but with a product called
Gardz from Zinsser. I'm sure others make it also. It has a very thin
consistency and is used primarily to stabilize drywall when the top
surface of the paper has been damaged. So far I've only used it once
in a brush on application on asbestos but it seems to penetrate even
better than paint. Two coats of that and the asbestos should be pretty
well encapsulated.
Dangerous ? There seems to be significant differences of opinion about
that, at least to the degree of danger. YMMV.
Expensive to remove ? Seems so. A friend of my wife's had a tiny bit
removed from around her furnace. The guy came in wearing what she said
looked like a space suit. Came out from the basement a half hour
later, took off the space suit, and wearing no mask of any kind
proceeded to empty the contents of a shop vac into a trash bag making
a cloud of what was likely asbestos dust. $800.00.
Bud--

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Alpha writes:

Would it be expensive to remove the insulation from the pipes, and should
it be removed?

It will cost the do-it-yourselfer, with enough sense to see through the
hysteria, a few garbage bags. Add $50 for a respirator if you are
paranoid.

Likelyhood of problem in removal in your own house is likely low. Long
or high contact is a known health risk that has caused a lot of
miserable deaths.

The most important safety procedure is to keep it wet and prevent it
from becoming airborne. And get it all in the bag.

Having asbestos could result in a problems when selling the house (if
not now, at some point in the future).

Bud--
Dmitri

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

It would be expensive to follow the routine of a professional.
Everything
has to be segregated, dust removed, etc. Can be quite involved.
In place, asbestos is not a risk at all. It is only the loose fibers
that
you may inhale that pose a risk over time. You can touch it, roll in
it,
wear asbestos underwear with no harm. Just don't breath the dust if you
cut
it or remove it. I'd just put a coat of paint on it and let it
insulate the
pipes as intended. The paint encapsulates it so it will not flake
away.

Asbestos in a commercial environment is a horrible pain in the neck
because of liabilities, not so much the technicalities. I would guess that
you won't sue yourself for removing asbestos.

Don't have any experience with asbestos in residential environment, but
one thing comes to mind thinking about it: if you are (in a process of)
selling your house, shouldn't you notify the buyer of asbestos content as
known to you? If you do, you'll get much less buyers because of the
wide-spread paranoia. If you don't, you'll get them a nice clause to get
out of the deal as soon as they learn about the asbestos. So, all things
considered, I'd remove it although technically just painting over could
have worked.

--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com

http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
Shaun Eli

Having removed the asbestos yourself when trying to sell the house is
probably a much bigger liability, don't you think? Containing the
asbestos (essentially you pay someone to box it in) is a reasonable
(and legal, and safe) alternative.

HeyBub

Bud-- wrote:
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Alpha writes:

Would it be expensive to remove the insulation from the pipes, and
should it be removed?

It will cost the do-it-yourselfer, with enough sense to see through
the hysteria, a few garbage bags. Add $50 for a respirator if you
are paranoid.

Likelyhood of problem in removal in your own house is likely low. Long
or high contact is a known health risk that has caused a lot of
miserable deaths.

Absolutely not. There has never been a documented cases of any health risk
from any commercial product containing asbestos - including people who
breathed dust from replacing brake shoes all day. The health problems ALL
came from the mining of asbestos.

... ...

Who ever posted that the only health risks were to those who mined it
I'd like to know where you got your info?
If you have any doubts about health risks talk to some of the old
timers that worked in the ship yards or insulators who covered miles of
pipe and boilers.
It causes a form of cancer in the lungs that is very different from
other forms of lung cancer.
I work with people who have health problems caused by it and I have
lost a few friends from it.
So please go pedal your mis information and bull**** somewhere else

Mrs Bonk

.... ... wrote:
Who ever posted that the only health risks were to those who mined it
I'd like to know where you got your info?
If you have any doubts about health risks talk to some of the old
timers that worked in the ship yards or insulators who covered miles of
pipe and boilers.
It causes a form of cancer in the lungs that is very different from
other forms of lung cancer.
I work with people who have health problems caused by it and I have
lost a few friends from it.
So please go pedal your mis information and bull**** somewhere else

Did someone really say that? They must be trolling.
Death through mesothelioma by exposure to asbestos fibres in dust has been
the outcome for some unfortunate housewives who handle clothing before the
wash.
Something to watch out for if hubby's into plumbing.

Edwin Pawlowski

"... ..." wrote in message

If you have any doubts about health risks talk to some of the old
timers that worked in the ship yards or insulators who covered miles of
pipe and boilers.
It causes a form of cancer in the lungs that is very different from
other forms of lung cancer.

While this is all very true, using proper (and simple) procedures to remove
it eliminates the risk for a homeowner. Prolonged exposure and no
protection killed many, as you point out, but the mere existence of asbestos
is not a cause for hysteria.

Dave Combs

My wife works for a law firm which specializes in asbestos defense.
Asbestos can be a dangerous thing. While there are a lot of hucksters
making claims because they once changed their own brakes, those that have
been affected live a miserable life.

"... ..." wrote in message
Who ever posted that the only health risks were to those who mined it
I'd like to know where you got your info?
If you have any doubts about health risks talk to some of the old
timers that worked in the ship yards or insulators who covered miles of
pipe and boilers.
It causes a form of cancer in the lungs that is very different from
other forms of lung cancer.
I work with people who have health problems caused by it and I have
lost a few friends from it.
So please go pedal your mis information and bull**** somewhere else

G Hensley

Dave Combs wrote:
My wife works for a law firm which specializes in asbestos defense.
Asbestos can be a dangerous thing.

In my experience not as dangerous as law firms.
Bud--

Shaun Eli wrote:
Having removed the asbestos yourself when trying to sell the house is
probably a much bigger liability, don't you think? Containing the
asbestos (essentially you pay someone to box it in) is a reasonable
(and legal, and safe) alternative.

What is the liability removing it yourself? And if I was removing it, I
would get rid of it while I was living in the house (I would rather
remove it than keep it stable).

If I was buying a house, I would rather get a house where the asbestos
was removed than a house with stable asbestos.

I talked to a friend who is current on currrent Federal asbestos regs. A
homeowner can remove asbestos in their own house. The asbestos has to be
double bagged, labeled, and disposed in a permitted landfill. An
asbestos removal contractor will also probably take the bagged refuse
for a higher fee. Also there is no minimum safe exposure. You can get
mesotheloma from one fiber of asbestos (with vainshingly small
probability).

People in many occupational groups exposed to asbestos have died from
mesothelomia and other diseases with a long (10-20-30) year delay from
exposure to problems. (Which is not to say home pipe insulation is a
major risk.)

Bud--
Shaun Eli

The liability? How about all the loose asbestos fibers floating around
the house in the air? If a realtor told me a homeowner removed the
asbestos himself, I wouldn't even set foot in the house.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Shaun Eli" wrote in message
oups.com...
The liability? How about all the loose asbestos fibers floating around
the house in the air? If a realtor told me a homeowner removed the
asbestos himself, I wouldn't even set foot in the house.

You're choice, of course, but far over reacting.
Done properly, there will be no floating asbestos. That is why is should be
kept damp when removed. If you fear being in a building that contained or
still contains asbestos, you'd better not enter anything built before 1978
Or go on a ship.

On 22 Sep 2005 02:50:44 GMT, Alpha wrote:

A friend has a house whose heating pipes in the cellar are insulated
with asbestos. Would it be expensive to remove the insulation from the
pipes, and should it be removed?

If you do remove it, where does one dispose of the asbestos?

Oren

excused from saving Universes."

Amun

"Shaun Eli" wrote in message
oups.com...
The liability? How about all the loose asbestos fibers floating around
the house in the air? If a realtor told me a homeowner removed the
asbestos himself, I wouldn't even set foot in the house.

If you open a few windows for an hour, what is going to be left floating in
the air ?

AMUN

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

If you do remove it, where does one dispose of the asbestos?

Oren

It is inert and acceptable at most landfills if double bagged.

NickySantoro

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:17:02 GMT, "Dave Combs"
wrote:

My wife works for a law firm which specializes in asbestos defense.
Asbestos can be a dangerous thing. While there are a lot of hucksters
making claims because they once changed their own brakes, those that have
been affected live a miserable life.

I'm sure your wife is the most virtuous person to draw breath since
the Virgin Mary. That being said, she seems to be employed by a bunch
of shysters who make their living shaking down anyone and everyone for
settlement money. When "Dominic" and "Nunzio" do this it's called
extortion and is a criminal activity. When the shysters do it it's
called advocacy.
Richard J Kinch

Edwin Pawlowski writes:

Or go on a ship.

Or anywhere in the US southwest.

Asbestos - what do you do? OhDear UK diy 19 January 14th 06 09:24 PM
Asbestos removal Jim Tiberio Home Repair 7 May 19th 04 02:18 AM
Asbestos Removal Jamie Home Ownership 1 April 7th 04 08:52 PM
Cost of Asbestos Removal David Rose UK diy 4 February 14th 04 05:40 PM
Asbestos in the floor: Advice, please Timbrook99 UK diy 5 November 29th 03 01:39 PM