Bud--

Shaun Eli wrote:
Having removed the asbestos yourself when trying to sell the house is
probably a much bigger liability, don't you think? Containing the
asbestos (essentially you pay someone to box it in) is a reasonable
(and legal, and safe) alternative.

What is the liability removing it yourself? And if I was removing it, I
would get rid of it while I was living in the house (I would rather
remove it than keep it stable).

If I was buying a house, I would rather get a house where the asbestos
was removed than a house with stable asbestos.

I talked to a friend who is current on currrent Federal asbestos regs. A
homeowner can remove asbestos in their own house. The asbestos has to be
double bagged, labeled, and disposed in a permitted landfill. An
asbestos removal contractor will also probably take the bagged refuse
for a higher fee. Also there is no minimum safe exposure. You can get
mesotheloma from one fiber of asbestos (with vainshingly small
probability).

People in many occupational groups exposed to asbestos have died from
mesothelomia and other diseases with a long (10-20-30) year delay from
exposure to problems. (Which is not to say home pipe insulation is a
major risk.)

Bud--