dean

Default How hard is it to do the thin aluminum sheeting around a doorway?

I'm considering rasing a garage doorway, and need to cut the wooden
panelling outside just above the doorway. That much I could do myself,
but I wonder about the white coated aluminum sheet (sorry I forgot what
its called) that finishes the sides and top. Do I call someone for
this, are machines used to fold the edges, or what?

Thanks!

Dean

calhoun

"dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm considering rasing a garage doorway, and need to cut the wooden
panelling outside just above the doorway. That much I could do myself,
but I wonder about the white coated aluminum sheet (sorry I forgot what
its called) that finishes the sides and top. Do I call someone for
this, are machines used to fold the edges, or what?

Thanks!

Dean

Machine is called a brake, it can be rented at tool rental places.
Aluminum sheet is called coil stock. It is sold in various widths (24" most
common) and colors and comes in 50' long rolls. Siding suppliers have the
best selection of colors but any big box will have white.
You have determined that the wood above the door you are going to cut is not
the header that holds up the garage?

Harry K

dean wrote:
I'm considering rasing a garage doorway, and need to cut the wooden
panelling outside just above the doorway. That much I could do myself,
but I wonder about the white coated aluminum sheet (sorry I forgot what
its called) that finishes the sides and top. Do I call someone for
this, are machines used to fold the edges, or what?

Thanks!

Dean

See Calhoun's reply. I would add that you probably can take a salvaged
piece to a siding supplier and they would probably make a piece for
you. Probably cheaper and better than renting and DIY.

Harry K

dean

Ok thanks for the tips. There is a steel beam over the door, but under
that there is just thin panelling and sheet rock, and I think I can
bring that up the required few inches.

I know what a brake is, but how do I bend an edge if its like 8 feet
long? Do they have 8 foot long brakes?

calhoun

"dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok thanks for the tips. There is a steel beam over the door, but under
that there is just thin panelling and sheet rock, and I think I can
bring that up the required few inches.

I know what a brake is, but how do I bend an edge if its like 8 feet
long? Do they have 8 foot long brakes?

Mine is 10'6" I have seen them bigger and smaller but 10' is a real common
size.