Tony

Default Need thoughts on new gas furnace and central AC

Hi all. I'm new here. Both my AC and gas furnace for my home are about 20
years old. The gas furnace has been slowly failing... enough repairs in the
last couple of years to tell us it really has to go. The central AC is of
course not very efficient given its age. Since I really have to replace the
furnace I figured just do the whole thing at once. Both existing systems are
builder's grade stuff. The furnace is a Borg Warner and the AC is either a
Lennox or Carrier (don't remember right now - we are not the original owners
of this house).

I know proper installation is they key to any job of this sort, but I also
want to get state of the art plus reliability plus efficiency in both of the
new units. Oh, and overly high priced, proprietary replacement parts are a
negative (I've heard that associated with Trane equipment). I read up a bit
on central AC; from what I've read it sounds like Ruud is well respected.
Carrier seems to have a good rep for furnaces, but I'm not sure about their
ACs. So I have some questions:

1) Is it a bad idea to replace the AC and furnace with units from different
manufacturers?
2) If the answer to 1 is yes, then can anyone recommend a manufacturer that
has the highest level of performance and reliability for both AC and
furnaces?
2) If the answer to 1 is no, then are Ruud and Carrier considered among the
best, respectively, for AC and furnace?
3) Are there any that are better for either? My definition of better is,
again, reliability, efficiency, a good modern (but well proven) design, and
low total ownership cost. That last means I'm willing to pay up front if the
combination of reliability / replacement parts cost / efficiency will result
in a lower TOC.

Once I have a clearer idea of who all to look at I will need some follow on
help with things like 2 piece vs. one piece AC, etc.

Ray

Here is some peripheral info that you might not be aware of. As of next
year, the minimum SEER (basically, efficiency rating) for AC units is being
raised from 10 to 13. If you are looking to do your AC unit, and want
anything lower than a 13 SEER, you have to do it this year (you can discuss
this with your installer and he can explain all of the pros/cons).

This link explains the change...

http://www.bryant.com/corp/details/0...l?SMSESSION=NO

"Tony" wrote in message

[...]

TURTLE

"Tony" wrote in message
[...]

This is Turtle.

You really ask too many questions in one set of words. Let me try to shoot all
at just a 2 time responce.

Ruud and Rheem same equipment would be my choice of brands. Now the install is
more important than anything at all.

Having 2 different brand till time to change the whole system out. it's not bad
but awwww acceptiable to wait for a complete change out when time or age calls
to change the other part of the system.

E-mail or post here and I will speak on it as i can.

TURTLE

marika

TURTLE wrote:
Ruud and Rheem same equipment would be my choice of brands.

LOL Engineers certainly would enjoy it...

mk5000

"we decided that the ipod was too big to keep in the Mac universe,
which turned out to be the right decision. a little less than a year
after this photo was taken, we shipped our millionth ipod, which
wouldn't have been possible in the windows market. this macworld was
also memorable because it was the culmination of an intense period of
development for us"--steve jobs

TURTLE

"marika" wrote in message
oups.com...

TURTLE wrote:
Ruud and Rheem same equipment would be my choice of brands.

LOL Engineers certainly would enjoy it...

mk5000

"we decided that the ipod was too big to keep in the Mac universe,
which turned out to be the right decision. a little less than a year
after this photo was taken, we shipped our millionth ipod, which
wouldn't have been possible in the windows market. this macworld was
also memorable because it was the culmination of an intense period of
development for us"--steve jobs

This is Turtle.

All I can say is i reply as I work on them and see what is well made. Opinions
are like asshole, Everybody has one.

TURTLE

Tony

"marika" wrote in message
oups.com...

TURTLE wrote:
Ruud and Rheem same equipment would be my choice of brands.

LOL Engineers certainly would enjoy it...

mk5000

mk5000, do you have an alternative recommendation and a reason for it?

Tony

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"Tony" wrote in message
Hi all. I'm new here. Both my AC and gas furnace for my home are about 20
years old. The gas furnace has been slowly failing... enough repairs in
the last couple of years to tell us it really has to go. The central AC
is of

....snip...

This is Turtle.

You really ask too many questions in one set of words. Let me try to shoot
all at just a 2 time responce.

Ruud and Rheem same equipment would be my choice of brands. Now the
install is more important than anything at all.

Having 2 different brand till time to change the whole system out. it's
not bad but awwww acceptiable to wait for a complete change out when time
or age calls to change the other part of the system.

E-mail or post here and I will speak on it as i can.

TURTLE

You're right; that was a little wordy. :-) Okay, so I had looked at both web
sites. There are no Ruud dealers in my immediate area, but a few Rheem
dealers. Are the units from both companies truly identical? (except for the
name plate of course)

I guess I need a split system. My furnace is an upflow design. I see some on
the Rheem web site that are two stage models. I understand the theoretical
advantages of a two stage design, but what confuses me is that the upper
models (the Classic 90's) don't appear to have that option.

I see also that their furnaces are designed to support things like
electronic air cleaners and humidifiers. I had an Aprilaire humidifier
installed when we moved in and have been very pleased with it. Does Rheem
offer their own humidifier?

The biggest issue will be picking an installer that does a good job (not
ripping me off would also be a plus).

marika

Tony wrote:
mk5000, do you have an alternative recommendation and a reason for it?

absolutely not. I like the way Ruud and Rheem Roll off the tongue.

try saying that sentence 3 times in a ROW!!!

mk5000

"how would he feel if someone sprayed gaffitti all over his
house"--peter gibson

TURTLE

"Tony" wrote in message

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"Tony" wrote in message
[...]

Rheem and Ruud are the one and the same equipment. One time i picked up a Rheen
Condenser unit at the warehouse and it had Ruud on it and i call the warehouse
to see about it. They give me a new Rheem sticker to put over the Ruud sticker.
the Rheem & Ruud both come off the same assembley line in Fort Smith , Ark. .
Rheem goes to the right and Ruud goes to the left to the loading docks and just
before they get to the loading dock they put the stickers on them but if you
look real close all says Rheen Manufactoring Co. Now the only difference between
a Rheem and a Ruud is one letter in the Model Number. So Both are the same.

Two stage is just a Bell, and whisle you buy for confort and does not save any
money.

90% afue rating does save money and if you live in the cold climate, i would say
yes go with a 90% afue rated furnace. If your using a 90% afue furnace you
really don't want bells and whisles but lowering the cost to operate the
furnace.

No I don't think Rheem or Ruud has their own brand of Humitifer but so the story
goes General Motor does not make tires for your car. Now most any add on you may
want will be adapted by Rheem or Ruud will or can be added on very well with no
trouble.

TURTLE

Kathy

"Tony" wrote in message
Hi all. I'm new here. Both my AC and gas furnace

for my home are about 20
years old.

http://www.goodmanmfg.com/consumer/c...Site=Goodma n

Tony

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"Tony" wrote in message

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"Tony" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for all this info, Turtle. My existing heating/cooling service
contract is with a company that is primarily a Lennox dealer. Do you have
any opinion on how the mid to upper end Lennoxes (for both AC and heat)
compare to the Ruud/Rheems (using the factors I had already listed)?

Tony

"Kathy" wrote in message

"Tony" wrote in message
Hi all. I'm new here. Both my AC and gas furnace

for my home are about 20
years old.

http://www.goodmanmfg.com/consumer/c...Site=Goodma n

Are they still using stack sequencers?

TURTLE

"Tony" wrote in message

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"Tony" wrote in message

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"Tony" wrote in message
[...]

this is Turtle.

I see very little difference in Rheem -- Ruud -- Lennox on the different levels
of quality of units but what makes a big difference is how well they are
installed. i would buy the cheapest brand HVAC equipment on the earth if i knew
it was installed by a good installer. a HVAC system correctly installed is the
best brand known or the best brand you can buy.

So if you have a good installer any brand you choose is the best.

TURTLE

Tony

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"Tony" wrote in message

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"Tony" wrote in message

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"Tony" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Turtle; that's what I suspected. It's a shame there is no way to
easily find out who a quality installer is in a given area.

David Starr

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 09:52:03 -0400, "Tony" wrote:

I see very little difference in Rheem -- Ruud -- Lennox on the different
levels of quality of units but what makes a big difference is how well
they are installed. i would buy the cheapest brand HVAC equipment on the
earth if i knew it was installed by a good installer. a HVAC system
correctly installed is the best brand known or the best brand you can buy.

So if you have a good installer any brand you choose is the best.

TURTLE

Thanks Turtle; that's what I suspected. It's a shame there is no way to
easily find out who a quality installer is in a given area.

Does anyone have any tips on finding a quality installer? That's the hard part.

Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant.
Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography

Web Site: www.destarr.com
Tony

"David Starr" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, David, that's what has me wondering. In the case of Rheem I checked
their web site and found 2 installers in my immediate area that are listed
as "Rheem Top Contractors". Apparently that means they meet some kind of
standards as a Rheem qualified dealer that's supposed to mean something.
What I don't know is whether that actually means anything. One of them is
also a member of the BBB and has been around since 1929, if that means
anything either.

Stretch

Look for company with NATE certified technicians and installers. Find
companies that fit that at www.natex.org

Also techs that belong to RSES would be better than average.
"RSES,,,Better service through knowledge."

Stretch

Gideon

Tony,

You are attempting to optimize and balance the following:
- Comfort & convenience
- Capital outlay (purchase price)
- Future maintenance costs
- Future operating costs

To do this properly, you need to evaluate 3 separate items
and determine how to spread your capital among the three:
- Furnace unit
- AC unit
- Passive systems

Your passive systems include attic & wall insulation, caulking
(including the attic), attic venting, windows, storm windows, etc.
I just want to point this out, because this part of the equation
is often overlooked.

For example, many homeowners fail to consider issues such as
the fact that the difference in cost between a high efficiency & a
super high efficiency furnace could be more cost-effective if put
into additional attic insulation. Or into storm windows.

This is all especially true since many of the upgrades to passive
systems are easy to do yourself.

Gideon
..

Tony

You raise a great set of points, Gideon. In fact, we are also planning to
replace our windows, and we are keeping that in mind as part of this
process. If we had our way they would be replaced before the AC and heater,
but because of our recent problems we're doing the equipment first.

"Gideon" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

.

Kathy

"Tony" wrote in message

"TURTLE" wrote in

message

"Tony" wrote in message
[...]

Why don't you just take a sales call from a
professional. I'm just an office girl but he can
tell you how similar different brands are and offer
you systems in different price ranges to fit you
needs. Call me tomorrow and I'll set one up for
you. There's certainly no cost to you for an
estimate. If you prefer to use e-mail rather than a
face to face meeting I'm game for that. Send me
your questions. or just take
the BUG out of the address I'm using here. The
internet is a wonderful thing but experience and
quality service and installation
_is_very_Important. I posted the link to the
website last week but I didn't hear from you. Here
it is again:
http://www.mountlaurelheatingandcool...m/contact.html I
didn't know the e-mail link was dead. A guy did
call from Washington Twp asking about RUDD
equipment but his name wasn't Tony. One note as you
do your research, the rebates for high-efficiency,
variable speed heaters were increased to $400 on
Sept. first and there are rumors of the A/C rebate
being changed in the near future. Get a couple
estimates, talk to thier references and then call
me when you are ready to get serious. We might not
be the lowest bid you get but we won't be the
highest and our reputation around town is damn
good. Customer satisfaction is a high priority. We
do alot in Cherry Hill.

Kathy

P.S. I'll get on that webmasters' ass tomorrow.