Percival P. Cassidy

Default Looking for lost/buried sprinklers

We have been in our current house for almost two years now, and although
it has a 4-zone sprinkler system, there are areas of lawn that do not
receive adequate water.

A couple of days ago I happened to be outside while the sprinklers in
one zone were operating and noticed a dribble of water from a pop-up I
didn't know existed. Even when the water was on, the pop-up barely
reached the level of the top of the grass.

Now I am wondering whether there are other sprinkler heads that got
buried even further down than this one. The neighbors on both sides (no
fences) have been there only a few months longer than us, so asking,
"Did you ever a notice another sprinkler head anywhere around here?"
achieves nothing.

We don't have a plan of the sprinkler system that would show where they
were installed originally. Nor is there anything to indicate by whom
they were installed, so we can't go back to the installer (if it wasn't
in fact a DIY job) for information.

Any bright ideas for a means of locating buried sprinkler heads?

Perce

Hire a sprinkler company to blow air through the system as though they
are draining it for the winter. Walk around listening for air coming
out of the ground.
Then again, if you hire a company to blow air, they surely can find and
fix all the heads for you anyway.

SteveB

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
[...]

Metal detector. You may know someone who does this for a hobby, or call
around to the local shops and maybe you can find someone.

The brass in sprinkler heads is VERY easy to find for a metal detector.

Steve

Norminn

clipped

We don't have a plan of the sprinkler system that would show where they
were installed originally. Nor is there anything to indicate by whom
they were installed, so we can't go back to the installer (if it wasn't
in fact a DIY job) for information.

Any bright ideas for a means of locating buried sprinkler heads?

Perce

How old is the home? Sprinkler installed at construction? If you check
with your local code folks, there may be a permit for the installation
and the contractor may have the plan. I'm an optimist ) If a smaller
town, the brand name of the components might be a clue for finding the
installer in the yellow pages, if done by contractor. Our system has an
old, old sticker on it.

One non-operating head may just be broken or plugged. Take it off and
put on a new one....take care not to let dirt get into the line. Heads
can be purchased without a spray head for the purpose of purging the
line before you put on the spray head. Whilst you have your excavation
open, trace the pipe by line of sight and look for heads covered by
grass. Down here in FL, St. Augustine grass could easily grow over a
head, or accumulated grass clippings also. Unless you have an oddly
shaped lot, the heads should be pretty regularly spaced, so's you know
where to look.

Percival P. Cassidy

On 09/16/05 03:07 pm SteveB tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

[...]

That was one of the things that occurred to me early on, but we'd prefer
a cheap solution -- but are there metal detectors as cheap as $20 that
would work?

Although the pop-up that came to light most recently is a Nelson with a
brass nozzle (and the riser is GI), most of the ones we know about are
Rain-Bird or Toro, which are all-plastic except for the spring and a
tiny flow-adjusting screw. Is a metal detector going to do much good
with such sprinklers, especially if the risers are plastic as well, as
most of them are. About the only metal other than the spring and the
tiny adjusting screw would be the hose clamp(s) down in the ground.

Perce
SteveB

[...]

You might get someone with a metal detector to do it for $20. I once
dropped one of those tiny mister nozzles. About half the size of a pea. It
found it no problem. Yes, it will find the small amounts of metal in a
plastic sprinkler.

Steve

BobK207

On 09/16/05 03:07 pm SteveB tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

We have been in our current house for almost two years now, and although
it has a 4-zone sprinkler system, there are areas of lawn that do not
receive adequate water.

A couple of days ago I happened to be outside while the sprinklers in one
zone were operating and noticed a dribble of water from a pop-up I didn't
know existed. Even when the water was on, the pop-up barely reached the
level of the top of the grass.

How about turning on the system & throttling the manual valve WAY
down, leave it running for a LONG & look for the telltale wet spots

cheers
Bob

Tim Fischer

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message

We didn't have the system air-blown last year, and no harm came to it. We
did drain it, however.

U sure? sounds like the system isn't working properly...

Anyway, if an 80psi water supply can't open a buried pop-up sufficiently
to produce a pool of water or a squishy patch in the lawn, do you think
I'm going to hear anything from said pop-up by blowing air through the
system?

Maybe. We had a sprinkler system at our old house, and in MN, you pretty
much *have* to blow it out. When the company hooked up the compressed air,
the sprinklers acted as if they were on "fast forward", going back and forth
rapidly, instead of the gracefully they normally did. You may well find
more heads that way. Since it's about the end of the season anyway, you
could kill 2 birds with one stone.

-Tim

Tim Fischer

Not all sprinkler heads are brass. Most of the newer gear-driven ones are
virtually all plastic, other than the lifter spring, which I don't think has
enough mass to be found easilly.

-Tim

SteveB

"Tim Fischer" wrote in message
Not all sprinkler heads are brass. Most of the newer gear-driven ones are
virtually all plastic, other than the lifter spring, which I don't think
has enough mass to be found easilly.

-Tim

I took the OP to say this was an old system with older parts

Steve

Percival P. Cassidy

On 09/16/05 11:22 pm SteveB tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Not all sprinkler heads are brass. Most of the newer gear-driven ones are
virtually all plastic, other than the lifter spring, which I don't think
has enough mass to be found easilly.

I took the OP to say this was an old system with older parts

Even this one zone was a hodge-podge of Nelson pop-ups with brass
nozzles and all-plastic Toro and Rain-Bird pop-ups.

Another zone was a mixture of Rain-Bird and Lego impact sprinklers when
we moved in, but I have replaced the Legos by Rain-Birds. it's bad
enough trying to balance a system when the sprinklers are all the same
brand and model but are not all set for the same arc, without having to
deal with different brands with differing patterns and flow rates.

Perce

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 12:01:20 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:
Any bright ideas for a means of locating buried sprinkler heads?

Pehaps you can "cap-off" a few sprinklers on the zone, turn on the
zone and see if they might pop up... Also look for signs of greener
grass at or near the sprinklers.

Oren
At this moment I do not have a personal relationship
with a computer. Janet Reno, Attorney General 24 May 1998
William Brown

Since the head is only dribbling, I suspect there is some blockage.
Either that or too many heads have been put in the same zone, and the
pressure can only elevate the first ones.

I would dig up around the dribbling head, remove it, and see if water
gushes when you turn on the system (be certain to take steps to keep
dirt from getting into the lines. If the pressure is adequate, clean or
replace the head. While you are doing that, you could look to see if
this head is on the end of a line, or whether the line continues, which
would give you an idea where to look for more heads. Analyzing the
pattern of heads should also give you an idea where to look if you find
an unwatered area.

I regularly lose heads, as my lawn grows over some during the
non-watering season. While I do have a map, they are still hard to
find. I run the system and look for the puddles that form around a
blocked head, then probe with a thin screwdriver.

Incidentally, a properly designed system has drains, and does not need
to be blown out.

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

[...]

Percival P. Cassidy

I've already replaced the sprinkler that just came to light (and blown
out the whole zone by turning on the water with all the "innards"
removed from the cases), but I think the primary reason that I saw only
a dribble was that it was pretty much buried.

This zone has 11(!) pop-ups (the little spray-nozzle kind, not impact
sprinklers or gear-drive rotors). This may seem a lot, but the water
pressure at the hose bibs is 80psi, so I don't see why it wouldn't be
sufficient to run that many (Rain Bird gives radius and gallonage
figures for this kind only up to 30psi).

As for the layout: this zone has one line with eight of these pop-ups,
plus three others (that I have found so far), each on its own line that
is Teed into that other line. These latter three are irregularly spaced,
and this is what makes me wonder if there are one or more buried
intermediate ones.

I agree with you about not needing to get the system blown out with air.
The previous owners left us instructions for draining the system.

Perce

On 09/17/05 05:40 pm William Brown tossed the following ingredients into