Richard

Default Oh No! My grout won't cure in the shower

I can screw up the simplest jobs sometimes.

I regrouted our shower. I started on the floor, worked my way up the
wall. Working in the shower roughed up the new grout between the floor
tiles so at the end I put more on the floor to smooth and fill the bad
places. I really don't know if it was a bad thing to put grout on wet
grout.

Now two weeks later there are places on the floor where the grout is
still gray instead of turning white. Maybe 10% or so of the grout on
the floor. Some scattered around the floor, a few places where there
are lines of gray. All the grout feels hard, even the gray stuff.

I still haven't sealed it, hoping it will finally dry out. Has anyone
ever seen something like this happen? Am I going to have to regrout
the floor? Or, curses!, have to call someone who actually knows
something about ceramic tile.

Any suggestions or experience will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard

Edwin Pawlowski

"Richard" wrote in message
Now two weeks later there are places on the floor where the grout is
still gray instead of turning white. Maybe 10% or so of the grout on
the floor. Some scattered around the floor, a few places where there
are lines of gray. All the grout feels hard, even the gray stuff.

What type of grout did you use?

You may have applied grey grout instead of white grout, check the
container.-Jitney

G Henslee

Richard wrote:
Am I going to have to regrout
the floor? Or, curses!, have to call someone who actually knows
something about ceramic tile.

One or the other, or live with it.
Sherman

On 15 Sep 2005 18:18:57 -0700, "Richard"
wrote:

[...]

Fans and heat lamps.

Doug Miller

In article .com, "Richard" wrote:
Now two weeks later there are places on the floor where the grout is
still gray instead of turning white. Maybe 10% or so of the grout on
the floor. Some scattered around the floor, a few places where there
are lines of gray. All the grout feels hard, even the gray stuff.

Then it's cured.

I still haven't sealed it, hoping it will finally dry out.

After two weeks, it's as dry as it's going to get.

Has anyone ever seen something like this happen?

Different brands of grout, or even different batches of the same brand, can be
different colors. Also, using too much or too little water in the mix can
change the color slightly -- not much, but enough to be noticeable when you're
seeing them side-by-side.

Am I going to have to regrout
the floor?

You might be able to bleach to gray parts...

Or, curses!, have to call someone who actually knows
something about ceramic tile.

... but this sounds like your best bet.
Any suggestions or experience will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard

Jennifer

Richard wrote:

I still haven't sealed it, hoping it will finally dry out. Has anyone
ever seen something like this happen? Am I going to have to regrout
the floor? Or, curses!, have to call someone who actually knows
something about ceramic tile.

Option #3 - Use a golored grout sealant like the one from AquaMix. It
applies like paint.

http://www.aquamix.com/gckit.htm

Frank Boettcher

wrote:

[...]

Several months ago I put down a tile floor and it was my first time to
do so. I grouted with laticrete 1500 tri-poly sanded grout, parchment
color. I ended up with the grout lines being somewhat variable in a
dark/light manner.

I was told that the mistake I made was not being extremely consistent
when I sponged the grout with regard to the amount of moisture in the
sponge. If it is more moist the grout lines come out darker, more
dry, they come out lighter. The sponge really has to be squeezed very
dry each time you rinse it to insure consistency.

If it is any consolation, over the ensuing two months the grout lines
seem to be getting more consistent in color or at least shade to the
point that I'm going to continue to do nothing and hope for further
improvement. It looked just OK initially and much better two months
later.

Frank
dadiOH

Richard wrote:
I can screw up the simplest jobs sometimes.

I regrouted our shower. I started on the floor, worked my way up the
wall. Working in the shower roughed up the new grout between the
floor tiles so at the end I put more on the floor to smooth and fill
the bad places. I really don't know if it was a bad thing to put
grout on wet grout.

Now two weeks later there are places on the floor where the grout is
still gray instead of turning white. Maybe 10% or so of the grout on
the floor. Some scattered around the floor, a few places where there
are lines of gray. All the grout feels hard, even the gray stuff.

Hard = "cured"

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Richard

Thanks,
I was hoping there was such a product. I will get to the tile store
this weekend. For the other people who responded- all the grout I used
was from a single 10# box of Polyblend non-sanded grout, antique white
color.
Richard

G Henslee

Richard wrote:
Thanks,
I was hoping there was such a product. I will get to the tile store
this weekend. For the other people who responded- all the grout I used
was from a single 10# box of Polyblend non-sanded grout, antique white
color.
Richard

Some "antique white" grouts are anything but white.

Leaking Tile Shower [email protected] Home Repair 4 July 31st 05 11:51 PM
Grout Sealant cover Home Ownership 9 March 16th 05 03:14 PM
Shower tile - verticle seams - caulk or grout? dango Home Repair 3 September 26th 04 11:07 PM
grout for shower stall Drew Morton Home Repair 13 July 28th 04 02:13 AM
Best grout / sealant for shower ceramic tile ? MAG Home Repair 5 June 19th 04 04:48 PM