MAG

Default Best grout / sealant for shower ceramic tile ?

Hi folks-

I'm getting ready for a bathtub / shower re-do. The surround will be
ceramic tile. This will be my second tile job. The first was a tile
floor, and that went well enough.

So, the tile will be mostly 8x12" ceramic tile, with some accent tiles
near the top. The shower head is adjustable angle, so the tiles/grout
will be exposed to the water stream directly. I don't want the water or
heat exposure to damage the grout.

I want to make sure I'm using the optimum products. The backing will be
durock over tarpaper.

For this application, what's the best adhesive / grout / grout sealant?

Knowing Google is my friend, I've read up on this subject from several
websites but want to get some experiences here from the group.

Thanks in advance!

Marc
GigaNews

As an adhesive chemist for 30 years, my suggestion is to not worry too much
about the adhesive. This isn't a new application and the adhesive companies
all figured out how to make tile adhesives long ago. You'll be fine if you
buy any of the products from any of the tile stores, or big box hardware
stores.

Any differences between the adheisves will be minor compared to the effects
of poor surface preparation so I'd put my emphasis there.

"MAG" wrote in message
ganews.com...
Hi folks-

I'm getting ready for a bathtub / shower re-do. The surround will be
ceramic tile. This will be my second tile job. The first was a tile
floor, and that went well enough.

So, the tile will be mostly 8x12" ceramic tile, with some accent tiles
near the top. The shower head is adjustable angle, so the tiles/grout
will be exposed to the water stream directly. I don't want the water or
heat exposure to damage the grout.

I want to make sure I'm using the optimum products. The backing will be
durock over tarpaper.

For this application, what's the best adhesive / grout / grout sealant?

Knowing Google is my friend, I've read up on this subject from several
websites but want to get some experiences here from the group.

Thanks in advance!

Marc

xrongor

"GigaNews" wrote in message
news
As an adhesive chemist for 30 years, my suggestion is to not worry too

much
about the adhesive. This isn't a new application and the adhesive

companies
all figured out how to make tile adhesives long ago. You'll be fine if

you
buy any of the products from any of the tile stores, or big box hardware
stores.

Any differences between the adheisves will be minor compared to the

effects
of poor surface preparation so I'd put my emphasis there.

that and follow the instructions on the container it comes in EXACTLY and
not some generic instructions from a book. the guys that make the stuff
know how to make it work.

randy

Ajax

Depending on the type of tile, you could use either a good quality
mastic adhesive or thinset. For all practical purposes, either will do
a good job. The premixed mastic will be easier to use though.

If you use a thinset, I always recommend using a latex modified
product. Laticrete makes some good mortars and you can buy them a
Lowes.

For backer board, I like Hardi products much more than Durrock. First
of all, the Hardi board is smoother and easier to cut. It doesn't
smell like someone just puked either, as the Durrock board does.

Latex modified grouts are more durable than their less expensive
cousins.

Felt paper makes a good backing for the backer board. I have a couple
of tile setter subs who swear by Tyvek for this type of application.