Fred

Default Problem installing carpet tack strip on old concrete slab.

Pound on the concrete nail on the strip but it only break the concrete or
the nail bend itself. My concrete carbide drill diameter is larger than the
nails. Concrete is old and hard, any suggestions? Time to get some Loctite
Power Grab?

tom

Drill the holes with your masonry bit, drive a piece of dowel into the
hole, then nail or screw to the dowel? Yeah, that's a lot of drillin'.
Maybe double-sided tape? Tom

PanHandler

Liquid Nails

Berkshire Bill

"Fred" wrote in message
Pound on the concrete nail on the strip but it only break the concrete or
the nail bend itself. My concrete carbide drill diameter is larger than
the nails. Concrete is old and hard, any suggestions? Time to get some
Loctite Power Grab?

Liquid nails will help as a glue. As far as nailing the tack strip, you
only get two blows per nail with the hammer. If you are meekly tapping at
them the only thing you will do is bend the masonry nails or chip holes in
the concrete.

Bill

Chris Lewis

According to Fred :
Pound on the concrete nail on the strip but it only break the concrete or
the nail bend itself. My concrete carbide drill diameter is larger than the
nails. Concrete is old and hard, any suggestions?

You might want to consider "Tapcon" screws. You can buy small packages
of these _with_ the required carbide drill bit from just about any
hardware or big box store for a few bucks.

Hold the tack strip in place, drill the hole, drive in the tapcon.

I'd recommend the ones with the hex heads, not screwdriver heads. Easy
to drive with a socket in your drill. Or even a ratchet wrench.

But improving your technique with the hammer will make things go MUCH
faster. You might find an improvement with a 2 pound or heavier
hammer (small sledge hammer, big ballpeen hammer etc).
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

On My Way

Another thing is Contact Cement. I have seen many a carpet layer use
this method and I have removed many a strip that have been glued down.

The thing to use is a heavy glue and make sure it is good and buttered
up and let it dry over night.

It will hold really well and can be removed with some effort if you
want to lay laminate flooring in the future

--
On My Way
On My Way's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=13