AKA gray asphalt

Default ceiling fan ground

Two outdoor ceiling fans need to be replaced.
The ground isn't connected on either. Where do
I connect it on the new units?
Thanks,
: -)

AKA gray asphalt

OK. But how does that ground the fan? Is the fan
grounded through its connection screws to the
metal box? I guess so, huh.

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message ...
Attach it to the metal box, if you have one or connect it to the ground wire in a plastic box

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in message news:Io2We.248958$E95.26642@fed1read01...
Two outdoor ceiling fans need to be replaced.
The ground isn't connected on either. Where do
I connect it on the new units?
Thanks,
: -)

Tim Fischer

OK. But how does that ground the fan? Is the fan
grounded through its connection screws to the
metal box? I guess so, huh.

No, you're not supposed to rely on the screw connections for grounding
purposes.

There should be a green screw somewhere on the fan chassis. That's your
ground connection.

If, for some reason, there's not, just connect it anywhere on the metal
chassis.

-Tim

AKA gray asphalt

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message ...
Most fans hang from a ball hangar which is attached to a metal stem which has a screw and a green ground wire attached to it

This one needs to be flush mounted. I keep missing this
idea. It seems to me that the fan motor housing needs to
be grounded to the bracket ant the bracket needs to be
grounded to the box where the wires come out. There
is a bare wire from the box which I could attach to the
green wire attached to the bracket but then how is the
bracket attached to the fan? Or I could attach the
wire from the bracket to the fan but how then would it
be grounded to the box?

AKA gray asphalt

[...]

I'm pretty sure that you are right. That's the way it's going to
stay ... : -)

Can you tell me how to do this ... There are 4 wires coming
out of the roof. One seems to be hot, a second hot and switched
from a wall switch, one ground, and one neutral.

The instructions tell me how to wire it so that both the fan and
light are controlled by the chains on the fan by connecting both
to the continuous power line. If I connect both to the switched
power then I should be able to turn everything off at the wall
switch and when it's on control both with the chains, right?
Thanks so much for your help, everyone. I hope I've learned
enough to do the next one myself. And I know how lame that
sounds to people who really know this stuff... : -)

"There are 4 wires coming out of the roof. One seems to be hot, a
second hot and switched
from a wall switch, one ground, and one neutral. "

With only one wire coming from the switch, and one direct hot, your
choices are limited. You can only control either the fan or the light
from the switch, not both. The other option is to get a remote, with
which you can control both. In that case, the little box that comes
with the remote gets wired direct to hot and the fan and light then are
wired to the little remote box.

AKA gray asphalt

Can't I run the light and the fan from one wire?
If I only had a direct hot they would both be
controlled by the chains ... so if I run both off of
the switched hot, they should both be turned off
by the wall switch, no? I know I won't be able
to control fan speed except by the chains ...

wrote in message ups.com...
"There are 4 wires coming out of the roof. One seems to be hot, a
second hot and switched
from a wall switch, one ground, and one neutral. "

With only one wire coming from the switch, and one direct hot, your
choices are limited. You can only control either the fan or the light
from the switch, not both. The other option is to get a remote, with
which you can control both. In that case, the little box that comes
with the remote gets wired direct to hot and the fan and light then are
wired to the little remote box.

electrical interruption Choreboy Home Repair 41 April 17th 05 10:14 PM
No Ground in Circuit panel. Elmar Woodworking 32 November 6th 04 10:17 PM
Am I grounded? Electrically speaking. Anthony Diodati Home Repair 39 January 4th 04 08:11 PM
240 volt wiring Charles Home Repair 11 December 30th 03 11:13 PM
replacing old non-grounded (2 prong) electric receptacles David Jensen Home Repair 27 August 26th 03 12:14 AM