Trudy

Default Re-blending Paint

I have an unused gallon of latex trim paint. Of course, it has
separated. Is it possible to reblend it without taking it back to the
store?

Duane Bozarth

Trudy wrote:

I have an unused gallon of latex trim paint. Of course, it has
separated. Is it possible to reblend it without taking it back to the
store?

It's called "stirring"...

Sure, just takes time if you don't have a paddle for your drill or can't
make one up out of something. (Warning, go S_L_O_W and damhikt).

May be just as fast to run to the store, depending on where it is
relative to you...
Trudy

I was afraid that might be the answer. Thanks so much!

Duane Bozarth

Trudy wrote:

I was afraid that might be the answer. Thanks so much!

How much stirring depends a lot on the paint and how much tint, etc.

Some remixes pretty easily, other is a proverbial pita. I'd give it a
shot and see how it goes, then decide if it's a trip or not. But, it
certainly is doable w/ some time assuming that the material is still
good, of course.
HotRod

In the industrial paint environment we use to "box" the paint. Not sure why
it's called that but. Just find another clean can and start pouring it back
and forth

Norminn

Duane Bozarth wrote:
Trudy wrote:

I have an unused gallon of latex trim paint. Of course, it has
separated. Is it possible to reblend it without taking it back to the
store?

It's called "stirring"...

Sure, just takes time if you don't have a paddle for your drill or can't
make one up out of something. (Warning, go S_L_O_W and damhikt).

May be just as fast to run to the store, depending on where it is
relative to you...

Good grief! When it takes too much energy to mix a gallon of paint,
I'll be dead ) Get a paint stirrer - flat stick - and start mixing by
moving the stick around in the can in "figure 8" around the bottom.
Then stir with lifting motion to help get what has settled "up". Even
if you shake it at the store, you should mix it again just prior to each
use. You can keep from slopping paint all over the rim by covering it
first with a strip of tin foil. When you have it blended pretty well,
just mix a bit longer by cutting back and forth across can with narrow
side of stick. If the lid is on tight, you could preceed all of this by
standing it on it's head overnight. G'luck )

Mike Dobony

"Trudy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an unused gallon of latex trim paint. Of course, it has
separated. Is it possible to reblend it without taking it back to the
store?

As others have said, stir it. Or you can go the more fun route and take it
off-roading for a while : 0

George E. Cawthon

Trudy wrote:
I have an unused gallon of latex trim paint. Of course, it has
separated. Is it possible to reblend it without taking it back to the
store?

There isn't any "of course." Some will noticeably
be separate and some will not appear to have
separated at all after several years.

I have never had latex paint that wouldn't remix,
but if it has frozen at one time or another it
will probably be unusable. Even when the top
skims over in a 1/4 full can it will still remix
and be usable. The easiest way with a full gallon
is to pour half of it into another can. Get a
stick and stir like crazy in both cans. Then pour
the paint back and fourth with some stirring in
between pours. In about 10 minutes it will be
fully reblended. As far as matching, I just
finished doing some recaulk in some areas, and
repainted those areas with paint that was about 6
years old. Can't tell where I repainted (gray
paint). I did the same with yellow, which fades
worse than most paint, with paint that was more
than 6 years old and no one could tell where I
repainted. 'Course I used, Dutch Boy best grade,
which I'm sure some will denigrate, but it works
for me. Also no problem with Glidden's top line.

Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
Excerpt: Room for Improvement Jane Smith Home Repair 1 October 3rd 05 10:22 AM
Rust Paint and Standard Paint. ACH Metalworking 2 July 4th 05 03:48 PM
Hardinge Paint Purchase (long) [email protected] Metalworking 2 April 21st 05 07:28 PM
Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 04:51 AM