dean

Default How hard is it to change a fridge compressor?

Any special tools? Do they come sealed with freon inside or something?
Compression fitting or what? Fridge is 3-5 years old, stainless steel
Kitchenaid Superba.

Thanks,

Dean

SQLit

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Any special tools? Do they come sealed with freon inside or something?
Compression fitting or what? Fridge is 3-5 years old, stainless steel
Kitchenaid Superba.

Thanks,

Dean

training, experence, and licenses are required. Then comes the $2500-5000
bucks your going to lay out for tools.

Call a pro and consider it might be time to think about a new one. Some are
not worth fixing

Abe

Any special tools? Do they come sealed with freon inside or something?
Compression fitting or what? Fridge is 3-5 years old, stainless steel
Kitchenaid Superba.

Yes, it requires a special vacuum pump and holding container to
evacuate the old compressor and charge the new one (they don't come
pre charged). You also need some special refrigerant lubricant. The
fittings can be gotten at any good appliance parts store. As to what
fittings you need, look at how the current compressor is installed,
and look at what the new compressor requires. You can figure from that
out what fittings you'll need. There can (rarely) possibly be some
soldering involved. There's also some technique involved in charging
up the new compressor (must be done slowly).

It's really not cost effective for the do it yourselfer, unless you
can rent the equipment cheap.
lp13-30

That unit should have a minimum of 5 year warranty on the
compressor-possibly even 10. Some warranties cover parts and labor on
the "sealed system"(any of the system that holds refrigerant), some
cover parts only. Have you checked into that? If it is only 3 or 4 years
into a 5 yr warranty, they should be able to go by the serial number if
you are not the original purchaser, or have no paperwork. Good luck
Larry

dean

Ok thanks all, I won't try it myself then, given your input. Will look
into the warrantee though.

Cheers,

Dean

Edwin Pawlowski

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Any special tools? Do they come sealed with freon inside or something?
Compression fitting or what? Fridge is 3-5 years old, stainless steel
Kitchenaid Superba.

If it is 3 to 5 years old, it may be under warranty.

Are you sure it is the compressor? There are many things that can go wrong
and will seem like the compressor is the problem, but it may not be.

It is not a DIY job though. Refrigeration takes specialized tools and a
license to handle the refrigerant.

Anthony Berlin

He's right.....but, the warranty covers nothing but the compressor.....no
incidentals, no driers, no strainers, no refrigerant and most importantly,
no labor. Translated= get a new fridge.
"lp13-30" wrote in message
That unit should have a minimum of 5 year warranty on the
compressor-possibly even 10. Some warranties cover parts and labor on
the "sealed system"(any of the system that holds refrigerant), some
cover parts only. Have you checked into that? If it is only 3 or 4 years
into a 5 yr warranty, they should be able to go by the serial number if
you are not the original purchaser, or have no paperwork. Good luck
Larry

h1ebs

In Wisconsin you would need to be certified to even buy refrigerant. The
list of what you would have to do is just to long, If it is not under
warranty Call a professional, Even if you are mechanically inclined it
would probably be over youre head.

--
h1ebs
h1ebs's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=81

zxcvbob

lp13-30 wrote:
That unit should have a minimum of 5 year warranty on the
compressor-possibly even 10. Some warranties cover parts and labor on
the "sealed system"(any of the system that holds refrigerant), some
cover parts only. Have you checked into that? If it is only 3 or 4 years
into a 5 yr warranty, they should be able to go by the serial number if
you are not the original purchaser, or have no paperwork. Good luck
Larry

That worked for me once. There was a sticker with the manufacture date
and it failed within 5 years. I got a new compressor installed for free
with no paperwork.

Best regards,
Bob

dean

You're right it may be the relay or starter. This is what happens: I
hear the relay click, the compressor does not start. After 10 secs, the
relay clicks off, presumably its getting hot trying. After a minute,
same thing, over and over again. If I knock the compressor (which may
jiggle the relay I guess), the thing sometimes starts. At that point I
let it go as long as it can until my groceries are cold, and try not to
open it too much!

Anyone think it could be the starter and relay? When the compressor
runs, its sounds smooth and quiet.

Thanks!

Dean

Stormin Mormon

All of USA, need a license.

I've changed compressors in refrigators, takes about three to four hours,
and several hundred dollars in equipment and tooling.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"h1ebs" wrote in message

In Wisconsin you would need to be certified to even buy refrigerant. The
list of what you would have to do is just to long, If it is not under
warranty Call a professional, Even if you are mechanically inclined it
would probably be over youre head.

--
h1ebs
h1ebs's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=81
View this thread: http://www.homeplot.com/showthread.php?t=58261

Stormin Mormon

Last customer I talked with says Sears gets about $170 to install a hard
start kit on the compressor. I'm a bit cheaper at $130.

Yep, that sure sounds like the solution.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
You're right it may be the relay or starter. This is what happens: I
hear the relay click, the compressor does not start. After 10 secs, the
relay clicks off, presumably its getting hot trying. After a minute,
same thing, over and over again. If I knock the compressor (which may
jiggle the relay I guess), the thing sometimes starts. At that point I
let it go as long as it can until my groceries are cold, and try not to
open it too much!

Anyone think it could be the starter and relay? When the compressor
runs, its sounds smooth and quiet.

Thanks!

Dean

h1ebs

{All of USA, need a license.} That is what I assumed although can you
not by 134a from auto stores with out certification except for
California and Wisconsin? I dont know for sure. Guess I could goolgle
it.

--
h1ebs
h1ebs's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=81
View this thread: http://www.homeplot.com/showthread.php?t=58261

lp13-30

Don't know about any other states, but in Texas anyone can buy 134A.
They even have it at WalMart. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to dean, Marat wrote:
deanbrown3d wrote:

Any special tools? Do they come sealed with freon inside or something?
Compression fitting or what? Fridge is 3-5 years old, stainless steel
Kitchenaid Superba.
Thanks,
Dean

Thats How Its Done

http://youtu.be/bkmLGbMjnAU

Posted to alt.home.repair

deanbrown3d wrote:

Any special tools? Do they come sealed with freon inside or something?
Compression fitting or what? Fridge is 3-5 years old, stainless steel
Kitchenaid Superba.
Thanks,
Dean

Thats How Its Done

http://youtu.be/bkmLGbMjnAU

As I can't see Dean's original post, I'm wondering if this is yet
another googlef*ck with a post from 8 years agog

That said, are you sure the compressor is shot? Had a four year old
Frigidaire go south on me, bought SWMBO a nice French door with lower
freezer that she'd been lusting after. While awaiting delivery of the
new unit, got to playing around since... nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Turned out that it was a starting capacitor unit. Stopped at the local
appliance store, told the guy what I needed and he said "all you need is
this handy dandy universal kit for $19.95. No need to go out and try to
hunt down a OEM replacement part for three times the price."

$20 and about 15 minutes of my time and we have a spare refrigerator in
the garage that works like new.

Easy way to tell. If the unit attempts to start and just hums, spend
the $20 and you may have solved the problem. Even if it doesn't work,
the attempt will cost you less than a service call.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Sounds like a clustergoogle. I've replaced refrig
compressors, about three hours and needs the EPA
card, equipment, etc. I always try the universal
hard start kit first. Kit works maybe half the time,
which is better than not.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 11, 2005 7:13:16 PM UTC-5, dean wrote:
Any special tools? Do they come sealed with freon inside or something?
Compression fitting or what? Fridge is 3-5 years old, stainless steel
Kitchenaid Superba.

Thanks,

Dean

If you have to ask you may be a pro.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Berlin View Post
Rarely soldered? How the hell you resealing the lines when you replace a compressor....JB Weld?
No, he's technically right. Even though the process is the same, when it comes to refrigeration, joints are brazed because of the much higher strength of brazed connections as opposed to soldered connections.

The process of brazing and soldering are very similar, it's just that brazing is done at a much higher temperature with different kinds of flux and metal filler material. You need stronger joints in refrigeration because of the much higher pressures involved.

I would suspect a bad relay as well. If, when the fridge does run, it runs smoothly and quietly, then in my books, there's nothing wrong with the compressor. I'd be thinking about replacing the start relay.

Last edited by nestork : January 27th 14 at 03:33 AM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 12, 2005 10:30:10 AM UTC-4, dean wrote:

Anyone think it could be the starter and relay? When the compressor
runs, its sounds smooth and quiet.

Thanks!

Dean

Your symptoms sound identical to mine. I bought a start cap and relay and installed it. I applaud the other poster for getting it done in 15 minutes.. It took me considerably longer. Even though I bought the correct OEM part from Sears it didn't quite fit without a little kludging. But it still works 3 years later. Can't remember what it cost, but it was way cheaper than a service call.

Some of my friends speculated it may have failed because I didn't clean the coils enough. I dunno. This refrigerator is designed to make it difficult, two A coils lined up to make a W, so there's no way to reach the inner ones.
Posted to alt.home.repair

deanbrown3d wrote:

Any special tools? Do they come sealed with freon inside or something?
Compression fitting or what? Fridge is 3-5 years old, stainless steel
Kitchenaid Superba.
Thanks,
Dean

Thats How Its Done

http://youtu.be/bkmLGbMjnAU

As I can't see Dean's original post, I'm wondering if this is yet
another googlef*ck with a post from 8 years agog

Excellent guess. Sept 2005

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2014 7:58 AM, TimR wrote:
On Monday, September 12, 2005 10:30:10 AM UTC-4, dean wrote:

Anyone think it could be the starter and relay? When the
compressor runs, its sounds smooth and quiet.

Thanks!

Dean

Your symptoms sound identical to mine. I bought a start cap and
relay and installed it. I applaud the other poster for getting it
done in 15 minutes. It took me considerably longer.

Really, that's all it took to do the actual replacement. Researching
and diagnosing the problem took me a bit longerg

As it was a one size fits all, it was simply a case of following the
schematic, clipping some wires and reattaching same with compression
terminals(?)

Then, too, the junction box was mounted on the side of the compressor
and the only impediment to reaching it was the back cover at the bottom
of the refrigerator. Imagine that... something that was actually easy
to serviceg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default toilet swirl direction

On Monday, September 12, 2005 10:30:10 AM UTC-4, dean wrote:

Now that I'm living in the southern hemisphere,
my toilet swirls in the wrong direction. If i unbolt
it and turn it around so the tank is in the room, will
that help?
Thanks!

Dean

Your symptoms sound identical to mine. That worked fine here.
New wax ring. I applaud the other poster for getting it
done in 15 minutes. It took me considerably longer.

Really, that's all it took to do the actual replacement. Researching
and diagnosing the problem took me a bit longerg

Hey, it may be a few years later, but glad it worked.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default pipes freezing on wind side?

On Monday, September 12, 2005 10:30:10 AM UTC-4, dean wrote:

Anyone think I should leave a faucet drip?
Last night it was cold and windy and I had a
pipe freeze under my house.
Thanks!

Dean

Your symptoms sound identical to mine. I checked and
find my heat tape wasn't plugged in.
It took me considerably longer.

Then, too, there was the factor of wind chill. The weather
guy on TV said the wind chill was below freezing last night.
Imagine that... and then the pipes froze.

I've had to leave a faucet drip, it's been below 10 F in
NY state, last several days. And windy. Tonight we have a
wind chill advisory. Wind chill -25F or colder, and exposed
skin can frostbite in half hour or less. I believe it.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heat pad in the bath tube? Hot water heater failure.

On Monday, September 12, 2005 10:30:10 AM UTC-4, dean wrote:

My hot water heater went out. They cost a lot of money to
replace so I'm going to use an electric heating pad in the
bath tube and just use cold water.
Thanks!

Dean

Your symptoms sound identical to mine. I use a Walmart heating
pad in the tub, it works great. The tub is nice and warm and I'm
done in 15 minutes. It took me considerably longer.

Really, that's a great idea. I'd like to fix the hot water. Researching
and diagnosing the problem took me a bit longerg

Then, too, the electric socket had a GFCI, I had to run to a socket
without GFCI at the bottom
of the refrigerator. Imagine that... something that was actually easy
to serviceg. Can I use extension cord on a heating pad?

Yes, most heating pads are only a couple hundred watts.
Since the end of the cord is in the water, I'd advise an
outdoor cord, though.

--
..
Christopher A. Young