keith

Default Dishwasher wiring?

I ripped out our dishwasher a couple of months ago because it started
****ing all over the floor, and we were just about to put new "hardwood"
(bamboo, actually) flooring in. Ok, it's time to replace the dishwasher,
but... The original dishwasher was "directly" wired in to the service. I
put directly in quotes because the yutz who did the original job
(contractor, I'm sure - the house is 19YO) spliced the wires under the
unit with floating wire-nuts - no box. Yikes!

Q: Now that everything is accessable, is direct wire-in allowed?
Reasonable? I can easily wire in an outlet box in the space, since I
have access to the basement underneath. It's anou outside wall, so may
mess up some insulation in the process though. I'm just not sure what is
"normal". I'm *quite* sure that exposed wire nuts under a dishwasher isn't
right.

--
Keith

keith

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 23:03:58 -0400, RBM wrote:

There is a splice box on the dishwasher, under the kick plate. Run the feed
into it and connect the wires

Thanks! That makes life a little easier. Do I just pull Romex through
the floor (I'm going to need a junction/outlet box in the basement to
avoid the free-air splices).

--
Keith

"keith" wrote in message
news

[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"keith" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 23:03:58 -0400, RBM wrote:

There is a splice box on the dishwasher, under the kick plate. Run the
feed
into it and connect the wires

Thanks! That makes life a little easier. Do I just pull Romex through
the floor (I'm going to need a junction/outlet box in the basement to
avoid the free-air splices).

You can do it that way. My DW has a short cord and plug wired to it using
the box on the machine and goes to a receptacle on its own circuit. . It
makes it easier to disconnect if service is needed.

keith

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 07:12:46 -0400, RBM wrote:

Yes, exactly and if you prefer like Ed and Greg posted, you can install an
outlet and a cord set, but it's not a code requirement

Thanks a lot folks. I've seen a bunch of wierdness[*] in this house and
wanted to get it right this time. If I have an hour or so I'll wire an
outlet into the wall (not a big deal at all).

The water supply is the next issue. I had to hack it off to get the old
unit out. I'm thinking about a braided supply line for its flexability
over copper. I also want to move the supply closer to the wall so it's
out of my way in the basement. I have a few weeks (have to get all the
molding stained and back on the walls) before we install the DW.
[*]The dryer had the romex sticking out through the sheetrock (free
floating in the room) with a surface-mount box on the end. I wired
that into the wall when I tiled the laundry last year. I'm not afraid of
running a wire in the wall, just wanted to know what was "normal" (and
certainly code).

--
Keith

connecting water supply to new dishwasher Bill Home Repair 4 August 3rd 05 02:23 AM
Kitchen wiring layout James H UK diy 5 June 28th 05 10:27 PM
Wiring Q: Disposal tied to Dishwasher circuit, too? bakerguy Home Repair 7 January 9th 05 02:31 PM
GE Dishwasher not draining problem Licensed to Quill Electronics Repair 7 June 27th 04 02:42 PM
How to break your dishwasher (and then maybe how to fix it) TimeDilation Home Repair 8 April 23rd 04 05:38 AM