Kevin G

Default Wire for fluorescent fixture

I am rewiring a 4 foot fixture for T8 lamps using a new ballast. Any one
know a source for 18AWG solid wire, 600V and 105C rated that I can get by
the foot. I don't mind ordering over the phone and am in no huge rush to get
done. Being able to get yellow, red and blue would be a plus. I don't want
to buy a 500ft role .

ps I do have the wire on the old ballasts, but I have new lamp sockets and
would like to keep the old ballast/wiring/socket set together for a spare
for shop lamps (were I don't mind the buzzing and flickering light so much)
and to make that job a little easier if ever needed..

Thanks
Kevin

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Kevin G" wrote in message
I am rewiring a 4 foot fixture for T8 lamps using a new ballast. Any one
know a source for 18AWG solid wire, 600V and 105C rated that I can get by
the foot. I don't mind ordering over the phone and am in no huge rush to
get
done. Being able to get yellow, red and blue would be a plus. I don't want
to buy a 500ft role .

ps I do have the wire on the old ballasts, but I have new lamp sockets and
would like to keep the old ballast/wiring/socket set together for a spare
for shop lamps (were I don't mind the buzzing and flickering light so
much)
and to make that job a little easier if ever needed..

Thanks
Kevin

I'm not certain but you can generally buy a lot of different wire by the
foot at Lowe's or HD. I'm not sure if they carry 18 ga or not. Barring
that, you could try a supply house but I doubt they'll sell to you by the
foot. Any reason for not using 14 ga which might be a bit more avail?
Cheers,
cc

SQLit

"Kevin G" wrote in message
I am rewiring a 4 foot fixture for T8 lamps using a new ballast. Any one
know a source for 18AWG solid wire, 600V and 105C rated that I can get by
the foot. I don't mind ordering over the phone and am in no huge rush to

get
done. Being able to get yellow, red and blue would be a plus. I don't want
to buy a 500ft role .

ps I do have the wire on the old ballasts, but I have new lamp sockets and
would like to keep the old ballast/wiring/socket set together for a spare
for shop lamps (were I don't mind the buzzing and flickering light so

much)
and to make that job a little easier if ever needed..

Thanks
Kevin

I always cut the old wire close to the old ballast. The new ballast has
leads on them so it is just a matter of splicing the colors together. You
can use stranded. I have never seen solid wire that small sold by the foot.