Default Home Depot Kitchen

We have a limited budget -- roughly 30000-- and we would like to make
the most out of the space that we have. We need new cabinet, new
counter top and new floor. We are not looking for anything fancy..Are
Home Depot or Lowe's acceptable solutions. If not, how do we find a
good solution. a reputable contractor?

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

We are not looking for anything fancy..Are
Home Depot or Lowe's acceptable solutions. If not, how do we find a
good solution. a reputable contractor?

Some people like them, but horror stories abound. Look for a good local
contractor. Ask friends and neighbors who they used. You may get a much
better deal.

Rich

Most HomeDepot contractors are wannabes that can't generate enough business
on their own so they rely on sub-contract work to make ends meet. Since
these sub-contractors are a dime a dozen their work is often less then what
is to be expected. Sure if you bitch they would have to come out to correct
the issues that you have(if you can get them back out in a timely fashion),
but is that added misery necessary? If a job is worth doing to right the
first time (These subs from HD don't understand that concept.). HomeDepot
contractors cut corners way to often since they get paid by piece work.
Have you ever asked one of their employees a half way detailed question
about any job in particular? Their answers are "generally" bull****. Most
satisfied customers just don't know any better about the work that was
performed in their homes so they think it that everything is dandy, not
realizing the underlying problems within.

wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a limited budget -- roughly 30000-- and we would like to make
the most out of the space that we have. We need new cabinet, new
counter top and new floor. We are not looking for anything fancy..Are
Home Depot or Lowe's acceptable solutions. If not, how do we find a
good solution. a reputable contractor?

David Martel

edie,

A good local contractor should be able to help you. The problem with a
"store" contractor is that he will sell you the store's stock. You'll have a
wider selection by avoiding this. $30,000 is not a "limited" budget for such
a project.

Good luck,
Dave M.

HeatMan

wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a limited budget -- roughly 30000-- and we would like to make
the most out of the space that we have. We need new cabinet, new
counter top and new floor. We are not looking for anything fancy..Are
Home Depot or Lowe's acceptable solutions. If not, how do we find a
good solution. a reputable contractor?

A contractor friend of mine is in the middle of a HD job. He's getting it
ready for the HD contractors to come in and when they're done, he's going to
do the final trim, etc.

The HD contractor is so bad that my friend wants to take the installation
over but won't. He gave the lady a price and she said she'd be happy with
the HD garbage. She's eating her words....

In other words, she hates HD now.

nospambob

We found 2 Certified Kitchen Designer shops in the yellow pages and
wife selected one. Cabinets are from Kitchen Craft and we couldn't
get from the "Certifiable" designer what material would be used. They
delivered particle board with maple appearing veneer carcases and hard
maple door and drawer fronts. I used screws furnished with a paper
towel holder and the tip of the screws stick up in cabinet above.
Suggest looking in yellow pages for local cabinet shop and get REAL
wood and ethics.

On 5 Sep 2005 15:45:15 -0700, wrote:

We have a limited budget -- roughly 30000-- and we would like to make
the most out of the space that we have. We need new cabinet, new
counter top and new floor. We are not looking for anything fancy..Are
Home Depot or Lowe's acceptable solutions. If not, how do we find a
good solution. a reputable contractor?

Percival P. Cassidy

For our old house we had HD design our kitchen remodel using the "Mill's
Pride" series of cabinets (a fairly cheap line -- maple-finish veneered
particle board about 3/4" thick), but I did all the work myself, both
assembly and installation. I don't think we spent more than $5000
(reusing the old appliances). Everything still looked fine when we moved
a couple of years later. (For $30K I'd want gold-plated everything,
including the kitchen sink, but my sister-in-law is getting multi-$K
quotes just to reface her old cabinets.)

In that house we had an HD contractor install a new water heater, and I
am sure they used a blow torch on the dip tube, which is a no-no
according to the warning labels: I don't see how they could have done
what they did without the blow torch, but I could be wrong.

Perce

On 09/05/05 06:45 pm tossed the following ingredients
into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup: