p4o2

Default Wasps

I find 193 posts on wasps in this group but can not find an answer to "
how long will a nest survive after all entrances exits have been sealed
? "

I have calked all I can find at night so I think they are all inside.

Duane Bozarth

p4o2 wrote:

I find 193 posts on wasps in this group but can not find an answer to "
how long will a nest survive after all entrances exits have been sealed
? "

I have calked all I can find at night so I think they are all inside.

Adults may survive a long time as you'll not make it airtight and there
well may be alternate routes they can use to escape that you don't know
about. The eggs they've laid will winter over and hatch next spring.

IOW, that ain't the most promising way to get rid of them.
Richard J Kinch

p4o2 writes:

I find 193 posts on wasps in this group but can not find an answer to "
how long will a nest survive after all entrances exits have been sealed
? "

I would expect until cold weather kills them off. They may be like many
other insects that cannibalize each other to survive as a colony.

You likely mean hornets or yellow jackets, not wasps.

A better technique is to put repellants at the exit rather than an absolute
barrier. Then they'll go out under a compulsion, but not back in.
Duane Bozarth

Richard J Kinch wrote:

You likely mean hornets or yellow jackets, not wasps.

Why? A "yellow jacket" is a wasp...
Lar

In article . com, p4o2
@webtv.net says...
I find 193 posts on wasps in this group but can not find an answer to "
how long will a nest survive after all entrances exits have been sealed
? "

I have calked all I can find at night so I think they are all inside.

You won't be able to seal them well enough to contain them in a house.
If you have been able to keep them from getting to the outside, you'll
know by the activity found inside.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS

Richard J Kinch

Duane Bozarth writes:

You likely mean hornets or yellow jackets, not wasps.

Why? A "yellow jacket" is a wasp.

Yeah, a type of wasp, but not usually called that. Wasps by name usually
refers to solitary or small colonies built from mud or paper outdoors, not
the huge colonies of yellow jackets built inside enclosed locations.
Tom Miller

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 13:45:15 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

| Duane Bozarth writes:
|
| You likely mean hornets or yellow jackets, not wasps.
|
| Why? A "yellow jacket" is a wasp.
|
| Yeah, a type of wasp, but not usually called that. Wasps by name usually
| refers to solitary or small colonies built from mud or paper outdoors, not
| the huge colonies of yellow jackets built inside enclosed locations.

http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entom...ruct/ef620.htm

Gideon

I've been told to never seal the entrances to a yellow jacket
nest around the house. You run the risk that they will chew
their way out of the nest in the direction of your home's interior.

I don't know if it is true, but it seems to make sense.

jdk

Gideon wrote:
I've been told to never seal the entrances to a yellow jacket
nest around the house. You run the risk that they will chew
their way out of the nest in the direction of your home's interior.

I don't know if it is true, but it seems to make sense.

you are right. years ago my mother was in the hospital and i was taking
care of her cat. saw a ton of wasps, or bees going in an area near a
vent on the first floor. use some old sevin and chloradane in the
opening. came back a
day later and there was a ton of them dead and alive(a little) in the
house. the cat was scared shi****s. years later the cat died of cancer.

M&K

If it's a nest of Yellow Jackets inside your wall you will need to kill
them. I went through about 5 cans of that special Raid made just for wasps
and hornets and three cans of fogger. But no go. Bite the bullet and get a
pro to your house ASAP. It isn't that expensive and they know a hell of a
lot more about this than we do. Our guy pumped a quick killing spray and
then also applied a powdery substance which took care of any un-hatched
bugs.

If you seal them off or trap them, they WILL do whatever they can to get
out. We found them coming through our recessed kitchen lighting two floors
down each time I sprayed.

Once the nest population is exterminated, good bye! Yellow Jackets do not
re-use old nests.

Good luck!

"p4o2" wrote in message
ups.com...
I find 193 posts on wasps in this group but can not find an answer to "
how long will a nest survive after all entrances exits have been sealed
? "

I have calked all I can find at night so I think they are all inside.

thrugoodmarshall

jdk wrote:

Gideon wrote:
I've been told to never seal the entrances to a yellow jacket
nest around the house. You run the risk that they will chew
their way out of the nest in the direction of your home's interior.

I don't know if it is true, but it seems to make sense.

you are right. years ago my mother was in the hospital and i was taking
care of her cat. saw a ton of wasps, or bees going in an area near a
vent on the first floor. use some old sevin and chloradane in the
opening. came back a
day later and there was a ton of them dead and alive(a little) in the
house. the cat was scared shi****s. years later the cat died of cancer.

Second on the SEVIN dust. Tried to kill a (hidden) nest of wasps with
several cans of poison to no success. I could see them going in & out
every day, but did not find the nest. Took the advice of a guy I work with
and dusted with SEVIN where I saw them going in, and they tracked the
poison back to the nest. Never saw another wasp in that spot.

Wasps Nest John UK diy 23 May 21st 05 09:50 PM
wasps behind the cedar shingles bill Home Repair 3 August 24th 04 02:00 PM
Wasps? D.M. Procida UK diy 4 March 1st 04 10:12 AM
BIG Wasps nest Sparks UK diy 25 October 19th 03 11:41 AM
Wasps between Siding angelshamshel Home Repair 2 July 29th 03 08:42 PM