Stinger

Default Water drain Roof vent?

I own a town house and have a small drain (for laundry) located in a
first floor utility room. I am trying to vent my dryer and noticed
(while opening the drywall up to see what I had) the drain has a vent
that goes to the roof (two stories). Its plastic probably about
four-six inches in diameter. Is this for sewer gases or something? Is
that why it goes to the roof? No other drains are hooked up to it,--
unless underneath they all flow into one-- and that is the vent?? I
didnt want to run a seperate vent for the dryer but it looks that way
huh?

Stinger

well, I found out not to vent the dryer to that pipe. however, I as i
said before the washing machine is piped directly to that drain. is
that allright? also should it be a direct connection?

Todd H.

"Stinger" writes:

I own a town house and have a small drain (for laundry) located in a
first floor utility room. I am trying to vent my dryer and noticed
(while opening the drywall up to see what I had) the drain has a vent
that goes to the roof (two stories). Its plastic probably about
four-six inches in diameter. Is this for sewer gases or something?

Yup. Stack pipe.

http://www.hometime.com/Howto/projec...um_1.htm#waste

Is that why it goes to the roof? No other drains are hooked up to
it,-- unless underneath they all flow into one-- and that is the
vent??

You should find other connections to it somwhere along the line. It'd
be odd to have a stack pipe for just one drain.

I didnt want to run a seperate vent for the dryer but it looks that
way huh?

Yeah--I can't imagine venting hot moist dryer exhaust into the stack
pipe would be a good thing. If I were a betting man I'd say it'd be a
big steaming code violation, and possibly a fire hazard to the dryer
as well.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Joseph Meehan

Stinger wrote:
I own a town house and have a small drain (for laundry) located in a
first floor utility room. I am trying to vent my dryer and noticed
(while opening the drywall up to see what I had) the drain has a vent
that goes to the roof (two stories). Its plastic probably about
four-six inches in diameter. Is this for sewer gases or something?
Is that why it goes to the roof? No other drains are hooked up to
it,-- unless underneath they all flow into one-- and that is the
vent?? I didnt want to run a seperate vent for the dryer but it
looks that way huh?

Yea it is for sewer gas. You don't want to vent anything else into it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

No

The washing machine discharge should be connected to that pipe. I'm not sure
what you mean by directly. There must be a "trap".

I have one of these http://www.oatey.com/quadtro.html that the hose hangs on
then there is a standard trap below...

See how it was installed
http://www.peppel.com/newhouse/index0005.html Scroll to dscn0093_75.jpg

See the trap, near the floor, then the vent going out the roof.

"Stinger" wrote in message
oups.com...
well, I found out not to vent the dryer to that pipe. however, I as i
said before the washing machine is piped directly to that drain. is
that allright? also should it be a direct connection?

Water heater pressure relief value drip Remove dots from userid to reply Home Repair 29 May 17th 04 07:46 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 03:01 AM