Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Doug Kanter

Default Secret password for hiring a plumber?

What is it with plumbers?

I need a short list of plumbing jobs done, varying in difficulty level from
"I could do it, but I'd rather not", to "WAY beyond my skills".

Plumber 1: Gave estimate of $1500.00, and about 6 hours of work. Said his
rate was $60 per hour, and materials for the work are around $100. For
purposes of discussion, I did the math allowing for 10 hours (because you
never know), and questioned why the estimate was twice as much as likely. He
said "That's just what it costs. Let me know if you want to do it".

Plumber 2: Highly recommended by a number of people. Never showed up to look
at what needed to be done, even though I work at home and could've
accomodated his visit ANY TIME that was convenient for him.

Plumber 3: Another referral. Stopped by (mid-July), looked at what needed to
be done. I told him that I needed an estimate not because I was price
shopping (because I'm really not), but so that I could budget the work, and
know whether to do it in pieces, or all at once. Said he understood, said
he'd call back with prices, never called back. His assistant keeps saying he
will, but it's August 26th and......

Anyway, are we all in the wrong business? Do these guys really have so much
work that they can be this way with potential customers?