robv60

Default Wiring through exterior wall

I have a pond in front of my house. At the present time, my pump and
other devices are simply plugged into an extension cord that runs
through a window to a recptacle in my garage. Temporary power. Anyway,
there are no receptacle around the area where the pond is. I have
several lights that are wired together under my house for lighting the
crawl space. The end of the run for the lights is about 20' from the
exterior wall where I am wanting to install a GFCI socket to power the
pond stuff. I would like to be able to use the circuit the lights are
on as the power source for the outdoor recaptacle by either removing
the lights all together or maybe even running the power from the last
light in the run to/through the exterior wall to the GFI. Can I do
this? Should the lights be taken out of the circuit? Also, what is the
best way to run the cable through the foundation to the outside of the
house. I have read that I would need to have a junction box on the
inside of the wall(under the house) that is joined to the receptacle
box (for the GFI on the outside of the wall)with a piece of conduit for
the cable to run through the brick. This correct? Is there a better or
simpler solution to do this?

SQLit

"robv60" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a pond in front of my house. At the present time, my pump and
other devices are simply plugged into an extension cord that runs
through a window to a recptacle in my garage. Temporary power. Anyway,
there are no receptacle around the area where the pond is. I have
several lights that are wired together under my house for lighting the
crawl space. The end of the run for the lights is about 20' from the
exterior wall

what circuit is this on?, other loads?

where I am wanting to install a GFCI socket to power the
pond stuff. I would like to be able to use the circuit the lights are
on as the power source for the outdoor recaptacle by either removing
the lights all together or maybe even running the power from the last
light in the run to/through the exterior wall to the GFI. Can I do
this?

lights might be switched so the outlet may only have power when the would be
on

Should the lights be taken out of the circuit?
Personally I do not like to have loads on with out a reason.

Also, what is the
best way to run the cable through the foundation to the outside of the
house.

With out information on the construction. I can not see it very well.

I have read that I would need to have a junction box on the
inside of the wall(under the house) that is joined to the receptacle
box (for the GFI on the outside of the wall)with a piece of conduit for
the cable to run through the brick.

Running cable through a conduit is always a good idea when going through
brick, block or concrete.

This correct? Is there a better or
simpler solution to do this?

Hard to say since you do not provide the load your planning on adding.
Generally fixed equipment should be on its own circuit.

robv60

The lights under the house are switched. Which is a problem as I do not
want to have the lights on for the pond pump to run. I think I may be
able to tap into an existing socket that is in a bedroom just on the
other side of the wall Im wanting to add the gfci to.

Edwin Pawlowski

"robv60" wrote in message
oups.com...
The lights under the house are switched. Which is a problem as I do not
want to have the lights on for the pond pump to run. I think I may be
able to tap into an existing socket that is in a bedroom just on the
other side of the wall Im wanting to add the gfci to.

If you are running a fractional hp motor, go for a separate circuit. You
don't want the pond pump to shut down the bedroom lights.

Beachcomber

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 23:00:39 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"robv60" wrote in message
roups.com...
The lights under the house are switched. Which is a problem as I do not
want to have the lights on for the pond pump to run. I think I may be
able to tap into an existing socket that is in a bedroom just on the
other side of the wall Im wanting to add the gfci to.

If you are running a fractional hp motor, go for a separate circuit. You
don't want the pond pump to shut down the bedroom lights.

It's unlikely that the OP needs a fractional hp motor and separate
circuit unless they are running a high volume waterfall. Most pond
pumps are in the 60 - 100 watt range. It would be wasteful to run a
new circuit to serve a 100 watt device.

One other option you have is if you can tap into an always-on
(unswitched circuit) is using an X10 style relay receptacle or module
to do the switching. Operation of the switch would be from an
inexpensive X10 transmitter located in a convenient loacation. I
believe they sell x10 duplex outlets with one outlet switched, the
other always on. Naturally, you have to be concerned about
weatherproofing and have an outdoor receptacle cover. As a bonus, you
can easily automate the hours of operation with X10 stuff and perhaps
put it on a timer.

Beachcomber

robv60

X10 would be sweet, but probably more than I need to try right now, not
very experienced with electrical.