Beachcomber

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 23:00:39 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"robv60" wrote in message
roups.com...
The lights under the house are switched. Which is a problem as I do not
want to have the lights on for the pond pump to run. I think I may be
able to tap into an existing socket that is in a bedroom just on the
other side of the wall Im wanting to add the gfci to.

If you are running a fractional hp motor, go for a separate circuit. You
don't want the pond pump to shut down the bedroom lights.

It's unlikely that the OP needs a fractional hp motor and separate
circuit unless they are running a high volume waterfall. Most pond
pumps are in the 60 - 100 watt range. It would be wasteful to run a
new circuit to serve a 100 watt device.

One other option you have is if you can tap into an always-on
(unswitched circuit) is using an X10 style relay receptacle or module
to do the switching. Operation of the switch would be from an
inexpensive X10 transmitter located in a convenient loacation. I
believe they sell x10 duplex outlets with one outlet switched, the
other always on. Naturally, you have to be concerned about
weatherproofing and have an outdoor receptacle cover. As a bonus, you
can easily automate the hours of operation with X10 stuff and perhaps
put it on a timer.

Beachcomber