Corvus13

Default Pilot light is heating the stovetop.

Hi,

I just purchased a Galaxy (Sears) gas stovetop (model 790.6000) which
has two central pilot lights between the burners. Everything functions
properly but I find when the stovetop is closed the proximity of the
pilot lights are such that the actual stovetop gets heated up quite
high with just the pilots going.

I've adjusted each of them to be the absolutely smallest that they can
be (in danger of going out with a light breeze) and it still has the
same effect. I cannot imagine this is correct.

The pilot cage itself has a small arm shield that raises above it I
imagine to take the heat of the flame should it get too high. I'm
wondering if these are the culprits and need to be bent downward
slightly in case they are touching or if there is something else that
can be done to remedy this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Scott

Tom S

"Corvus13" wrote in message oups.com...
Hi,

I just purchased a Galaxy (Sears) gas stovetop (model 790.6000) which
has two central pilot lights between the burners. Everything functions
properly but I find when the stovetop is closed the proximity of the
pilot lights are such that the actual stovetop gets heated up quite
high with just the pilots going.

That's completely normal for gas stoves, at least for the part
of the stovetop immediately above the pilot lights. If it bothers
you, switch to a pilotless gas stovetop which use electronic
starters. These models will lower your gas bills a bit as well.

Corvus13

Thank you both for your replies. I suppose it must be so. Its still
hard to believe this stove was designed such that the surface remains
painfully hot. The stove is actually brand new..I bought it a few
months ago because it was the only one under $1500 that fit into the
alcove of the original one (for some reason all reasonably priced
stoves must have a foot high backing whether theres a display in there
or not).

It is indeed an open burner unit.

Not that I'd expect you would but do happen to have an inkling as to
where I might find an inexpensive 40" high pilotless gas stove? My
exhaustive search produced only this one.

Thanks again,

Scott

"Corvus13" wrote in message
[...]

Tom S

Here are several: http://tinyurl.com/7gagp

The 30" ranges start toward the bottom of the list, e.g.:
http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajm.../FGF303CW.html

If you go to www.ajmadison.com you'll see an Appliance Finder
(it's in the middle of the page). In the Finder, click on Cooking,
then select "cooking ranges" in the category box, you can specify
a minimum and maximum height. I used 38" and 40 3/4" just as
an example.

"Corvus13" wrote in message
[...]

George

Corvus13 wrote:
[...]

That is pretty much how stoves with standing pilots are. The heat has to
go somewhere and that is why the stovetop gets warm/hot.

Surprised that they still make stoves with standing pilots. That has
been considered bad form for a long time because of the wasted fuel.
SQLit

"Corvus13" wrote in message
[...]

What does Sears say????

I can not imagine buying a new stove with a pilot light in it.

Edwin Pawlowski

"SQLit" wrote in message
What does Sears say????

I can not imagine buying a new stove with a pilot light in it.

In most cases, you are not allowed. If the stove has any electrical
components at all, it MUST, by law, have electronic ignition. OTOH, it is
allowed for Amish, places with no electricity, and some Kosher kitchens.
Many new ranges have Sabbath mode.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Corvus13

Thanks again everyone. I managed to find some other options but it
seems as though all 30Wx40H freestanding ranges are simply pilot
ignition (I think I've found one particularly ugly two-toned
exception).

I still have word into Sears and there is a small amount of hope in
that the instruction manual indicates that there is a version of this
model that comes with electric ignition.

Perhaps I'll become Amish.

Scott

Edwin Pawlowski

"Robert Bodling" wrote in message

What is Sabbath mode, does that mean it will not work on the Sabbath?

According to Jewish religion, now work is to be done on the Sabbath. That
includes starting a fire. If the fire is already going, you can use it.
Some stoves have provision to keep the fire on. That may not be a perfect
explanation, but probably close enough coming from a Christian. As an
aside, read up a bit on kosher food preparation and cooking. Modern
technology has probably made for some to be of less concern, but they have
some very interesting ideas on the food we consume.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Corvus13" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks again everyone. I managed to find some other options but it
seems as though all 30Wx40H freestanding ranges are simply pilot
ignition (I think I've found one particularly ugly two-toned
exception).

I still have word into Sears and there is a small amount of hope in
that the instruction manual indicates that there is a version of this
model that comes with electric ignition.

Just what model do you have? Every one that I saw had electronic ignition.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=02271053000

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=02271052000