blister91

Default Pilot Light Keeps Going Out

Yesterday the pilot light went out and after several attempts, I have
not been able to re-light it.

I've replaced the Pilot Top Socket (as the old one was dis-integrated)
and a new thermocouple. However, it had made no difference whatsoever.

There is quite a strong draught through the back of the boiler - not
sure if this is the cause? It's not windy out tonight so I would be
tempted to rule that out.

The boiler is a Thorn Apollo 30/50B conventional type.

Is there anything else I can try or will a corgi engineer be required?

Many thanks

Dan
raden

In message , blister91
writes
Yesterday the pilot light went out and after several attempts, I have
not been able to re-light it.

I've replaced the Pilot Top Socket (as the old one was dis-integrated)
and a new thermocouple. However, it had made no difference whatsoever.

There is quite a strong draught through the back of the boiler - not
sure if this is the cause? It's not windy out tonight so I would be
tempted to rule that out.

The boiler is a Thorn Apollo 30/50B conventional type.

Is there anything else I can try or will a corgi engineer be required?

They don't burn very well
--
geoff
blister72

I have finally managed to get it going now after cleaning the jets.

However, the probe is red, red hot. Is this normal? I only ask because
now the inspection window has cracked!!

Cheers

raden wrote:
In message ,

blister91
writes
Yesterday the pilot light went out and after several attempts, I

have
not been able to re-light it.

I've replaced the Pilot Top Socket (as the old one was

dis-integrated)
and a new thermocouple. However, it had made no difference

whatsoever.

There is quite a strong draught through the back of the boiler - not
sure if this is the cause? It's not windy out tonight so I would be
tempted to rule that out.

The boiler is a Thorn Apollo 30/50B conventional type.

Is there anything else I can try or will a corgi engineer be

required?

They don't burn very well
--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message

The boiler is a Thorn Apollo 30/50B conventional type.

Is there anything else I can try or will a corgi engineer be required?

They don't burn very well

Sounds like the voice of experience ... :-)

We have an Apollo, donkey's years old. He's been wanting to replace it for
ages but since it's only needed two thermocouples in its long life I'm
reluctant. If it ain't broke ... Yes I know, break it!

So after I told him about the new fitting regulations he bought a new one,
going by recommendations from folk round here. I doubt that it will be
fitted until the old one dies permanently.

Mary
--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"blister72" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have finally managed to get it going now after cleaning the jets.

However, the probe is red, red hot. Is this normal?

Ours is too. Only for the last few months though. Don't know if two samples
make it normal.

I only ask because
now the inspection window has cracked!!

Oo-er ...

Mary

Cheers

blister72

I am wanting to replace my boiler too! Our whole heating system is
rather old and I have had to replace a few parts in the last year,
including pump, motorised valve, etc.

However, I'm not in the position to replace the boiler just yet but
will do so as soon as I get the opportunity! I've been researching
already and it looks that I will settle on a condensing combi boiler,
but that may well change!

Anyway, as for the red hot probe - I've adjusted the pilot light down a
bit and that seems to be better.

Looks like I'm getting there in the end!!

Mary Fisher wrote:
"raden" wrote in message

The boiler is a Thorn Apollo 30/50B conventional type.

Is there anything else I can try or will a corgi engineer be

required?

They don't burn very well

Sounds like the voice of experience ... :-)

We have an Apollo, donkey's years old. He's been wanting to replace

it for
ages but since it's only needed two thermocouples in its long life

I'm
reluctant. If it ain't broke ... Yes I know, break it!

So after I told him about the new fitting regulations he bought a new

one,
going by recommendations from folk round here. I doubt that it will

be
fitted until the old one dies permanently.

Mary
--
geoff

Alan

In message , raden
wrote
In message , blister91

writes

Is there anything else I can try or will a corgi engineer be required?

They don't burn very well

Corgi engineers burn extremely well if doused in petrol first.
--
Alan

raden

In message , Alan
writes
In message , raden
wrote
In message ,
blister91

writes

Is there anything else I can try or will a corgi engineer be required?

They don't burn very well

Corgi engineers burn extremely well if doused in petrol first.

I did think of that, but then thought, No, it's against gas regs

--
geoff
Senior Member

They do glow red, it's OK.

Broken glass must be replaced but if you can't get it you need to seal the crack.
blister72

Cheers, I thought it does usually glow red but wanted to double check
as I've never really paid attention to it before!

I will be replacing the inspection window glass later this week.