mhsmom

Default home wiring

I'm wiring some extra outlets and another set of lights into an already
existing circuit in my bathroom Previous wiring went from a light
swith on to other lights/outlets in other rooms. My issue is that
there will be so many connections in the swith box that I don't think
they'll all fit. It will be a 3 gang switch box with 3 more lines
(besides what the swithes go to) going from it. If I put in a juntion
box, can it be covered with sheetrock? Right now I have a section of
wall open, but I don't want to have a junction box visible on the wall.
Attic is accessible, but not easy. This wiring is a long, long way
from the attic opening. Wiring is 14 and 12 gauge.
Thanks.
Barb

SQLit

"mhsmom" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm wiring some extra outlets and another set of lights into an already
existing circuit in my bathroom Previous wiring went from a light
swith on to other lights/outlets in other rooms. My issue is that
there will be so many connections in the swith box that I don't think
they'll all fit. It will be a 3 gang switch box with 3 more lines
(besides what the swithes go to) going from it. If I put in a juntion
box, can it be covered with sheetrock? Right now I have a section of
wall open, but I don't want to have a junction box visible on the wall.
Attic is accessible, but not easy. This wiring is a long, long way
from the attic opening. Wiring is 14 and 12 gauge.
Thanks.
Barb

junction boxes must be accessible

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...ges/h00134.asp

you might want to consider professional help.

mhsmom

Thank You for your reply.

mhsmom

Thank you for the reply.

John Grabowski

Barb, you didn't give a wire count or the actual dimensions of the box so it
is difficult to guess exactly what is permitted.

I have been in similar situations and have an easy solution. Install a 4
gang box.(Or a 5 gang) that will give you the additional cubic inches that
you need (See table 314.16(A) in the National Electrical Code. When you are
finished and have only 3 switches, buy a four gang wall plate that has 3
toggle openings and one blank. Or you can get a 4 gang toggle wall plate
and get a blank filler for the fourth gang. You will probably need to go to
an electrical supply house for this as I don't think many hardware stores
carry this set up.

A junction box must be accessible without damaging the wall. You could have
a recessed junction box be accessible from the other side of the wall if it
happens to be a closet or a room where it doesn't matter.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

"mhsmom" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm wiring some extra outlets and another set of lights into an already
existing circuit in my bathroom Previous wiring went from a light
swith on to other lights/outlets in other rooms. My issue is that
there will be so many connections in the swith box that I don't think
they'll all fit. It will be a 3 gang switch box with 3 more lines
(besides what the swithes go to) going from it. If I put in a juntion
box, can it be covered with sheetrock? Right now I have a section of
wall open, but I don't want to have a junction box visible on the wall.
Attic is accessible, but not easy. This wiring is a long, long way
from the attic opening. Wiring is 14 and 12 gauge.
Thanks.
Barb

Member TPVFD

mhsmom wrote:
I'm wiring some extra outlets and another set of lights into an already
existing circuit in my bathroom Previous wiring went from a light
swith on to other lights/outlets in other rooms. My issue is that
there will be so many connections in the swith box that I don't think
they'll all fit. It will be a 3 gang switch box with 3 more lines
(besides what the swithes go to) going from it. If I put in a juntion
box, can it be covered with sheetrock? Right now I have a section of
wall open, but I don't want to have a junction box visible on the wall.
Attic is accessible, but not easy. This wiring is a long, long way
from the attic opening. Wiring is 14 and 12 gauge.
Thanks.
Barb

Barb
Since your wall is open you can install a 4&11/16" square by 2&1/8 inch
deep box with a plaster ring that will give the same surface opening as
a 3 X 2 inch device box. Since that deep "11B" box can hold something
like 21 #14 AWG conductors I would think that might do it. Tell us how
many wires of what size that the box must contain and we can be of more
help. Each yoke or strap that supports a device such as a switch or
receptacle counts as two of the largest wire that terminates on that
device. All of the equipment grounding conductors count as only one
wire. Internal clamps count as one wire. #14s need two cubic inches of
space each and number 12s need 2.25 cu inches each. A deep 4&11/16"
square box has about 43" cubed of internal space.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison
Member TPVFD

mhsmom wrote:
I'm wiring some extra outlets and another set of lights into an already
existing circuit in my bathroom Previous wiring went from a light
swith on to other lights/outlets in other rooms. My issue is that
there will be so many connections in the swith box that I don't think
they'll all fit. It will be a 3 gang switch box with 3 more lines
(besides what the swithes go to) going from it. If I put in a juntion
box, can it be covered with sheetrock? Right now I have a section of
wall open, but I don't want to have a junction box visible on the wall.
Attic is accessible, but not easy. This wiring is a long, long way
from the attic opening. Wiring is 14 and 12 gauge.
Thanks.
Barb

http://www.electrical-supply.net/pro...prodI D_E_147
is the box.
http://www.electrical-supply.net/pro...prodI D_E_142
is the plaster ring that protrudes through the sheet rock for you to
mount your device in. The boxes are available with mounting brackets.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

mhsmom wrote:
I'm wiring some extra outlets and another set of lights into an already
existing circuit in my bathroom Previous wiring went from a light
swith on to other lights/outlets in other rooms. My issue is that
there will be so many connections in the swith box that I don't think
they'll all fit. It will be a 3 gang switch box with 3 more lines
(besides what the swithes go to) going from it. If I put in a juntion
box, can it be covered with sheetrock? Right now I have a section of
wall open, but I don't want to have a junction box visible on the wall.
Attic is accessible, but not easy. This wiring is a long, long way
from the attic opening. Wiring is 14 and 12 gauge.
Thanks.
Barb

You think you can daisy-chain them as opposed to star formation?

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert