AKA gray asphalt

Default Will you make suggestions?

At www.goodideamyfriend.com there is a picture
of a proposed cat house, for real cats. : -0
Would you give suggestions please? The verticals
are carpeted, ie to be carpeted and the holes in
front are to put food in. If it is a bad idea. let me
know so I don't waste my time, especially if you
have experience with cats.
: -)

phaeton

Cats are evil. Getting cats is a bad idea. Get a mid-sized dog
instead.

AKA gray asphalt

"phaeton" wrote in message ups.com...
Cats are evil. Getting cats is a bad idea. Get a mid-sized dog
instead.

I like dogs too. I don't know how but we ended up with
a part Pit Bull. A friend left her and then split, sort of. I
never had a cat until after 40.
Westies are great mid-size dogs. I guess they are
really small dogs. Shelties are great. I always loved
boxers.
: -)

Our cat doesn't climb enough to get to the boxes.
In addition, she likes her food & water separate from her sleeping box.
What about adding a lower level of boxes or a platform at the bottom?
TB

Pop

It's good you added the text. If you'd really like some
comments, here are mine:
IMO cats are more communal in nature than this setup. There is
also limited access to the houses themselves for any but an adult
cat in good health. A cat with a temporary sickness wouldn't be
able to get access and, truthfully, I think they would consider
it a boring place to go.
There has to be something communal added perhaps with hammocks
and clawing posts, protrusions to explore, things like that.
I have a cattery outside our bedroom window for our 5 cats;
they come and go as they please and spend a LOT of time out there
in the open. It's full of ledges to climb, carpet hammocks to
sleep in, hanging carpet threads to play with, a couple of catnip
mice here and there.
In all I've only ever had three cats that preferred their own
"aparment", and they were orphans left to die by their mothers
for whatever reason only nature understood. Each defended their
"apartment", usually a closet shelf, ferociously.

Personally I think you need to add a lot more interest and better
access to the top layer, which should be open for them. If
you'd like some ideas, drfostersmith.com has some good and some
great but huge cat platforms etc. available, including big areas
like you're considering. Lots of other sites to ge ideas from
too.

HTH,
Pop

:
: I added some text because someone said they weren't sure
: what this does. Thanks : -)
:
:
: "AKA gray asphalt" wrote in message
:
: At www.goodideamyfriend.com there is a picture
: of a proposed cat house, for real cats. : -0
: Would you give suggestions please? The verticals
: are carpeted, ie to be carpeted and the holes in
: front are to put food in. If it is a bad idea. let me
: know so I don't waste my time, especially if you
: have experience with cats.
: : -)
:
:
:
:

William Brown

Over the years we obtained some cutesy cat houses, all of which were
largely ignored by our cats. The only thing they ever liked was when I
put some old carpet around one of the steel posts that support some I
beams in the basement; they liked to climb that "tree", especially if
they could do it while you were walking by and not looking, so they
thought they had surprised you.

I would avoid having the food and water anywhere but on the floor, where
spills are easily cleaned up. And none of our cats liked to "live" near
their food and water. Once we were remodeling the kitchen, where we
keep the food and water bowls, so we moved the bowls temporarily into a
study where the cat liked to sleep in a chair, or hide on a shelf; when
the bowls showed up the cat moved out and found another room to live in,
then returned when the project was over and the bowls went back to the
kitchen.

AKA gray asphalt wrote:
At www.goodideamyfriend.com there is a picture
of a proposed cat house, for real cats. : -0
Would you give suggestions please? The verticals
are carpeted, ie to be carpeted and the holes in
front are to put food in. If it is a bad idea. let me
know so I don't waste my time, especially if you
have experience with cats.
: -)

AKA gray asphalt

I'd really like to see a pic of the hamocks.
I'll check out drfostersmith.com. Thanks.
This is for a hall in my house. We don't let
the cats outside any more since one got
hit by a car. : -( A couple of our cats are
kind of like the one you described who
had been abandoned. One is a rescue kitty
who was flushed, or rather someone tried
to flush him, a couple of ferals who are more
than normal now and one who's tail just seems
to hit everyone at the wrong time and is very
unpopular. She hides most of the day.
Thanks for responding. : -)

"Pop" wrote in message ...
[...]

AKA gray asphalt

wrote in message ps.com...
Our cat doesn't climb enough to get to the boxes.
In addition, she likes her food & water separate from her sleeping box.
What about adding a lower level of boxes or a platform at the bottom?
TB

We could put in another set of boxes as long as there isn't any
competition for right of way. : -) a platform would be interesting
too. Thanks.

AKA gray asphalt

You're the second person who suggested not having
the food near the sleeping area. I'll keep an eye on
what happens. Thanks.