Default Junction Box has no white wires celing light help needed

Hi, I am putting a ceiling light in a kitchen. I wish so bad I would
have looked at the previous lighting. I did not. I expected it to be
the same as everything else I have looked at.

This junction box has no white wires. There are black, a ground (bare)
wire. And there are other wires black and light brown that are wired
together. There are two sets of light brown and black wires. One set
is black and light brown wired together. There is another set like it.

There was a single black wire. I guessed that is the correct black on
black wire. Ground was easy to find. There is just no white wire.

Any ideas?

SQLit

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, I am putting a ceiling light in a kitchen. I wish so bad I would
have looked at the previous lighting. I did not. I expected it to be
the same as everything else I have looked at.

This junction box has no white wires. There are black, a ground (bare)
wire. And there are other wires black and light brown that are wired
together. There are two sets of light brown and black wires. One set
is black and light brown wired together. There is another set like it.

There was a single black wire. I guessed that is the correct black on
black wire. Ground was easy to find. There is just no white wire.

Any ideas?

Some of the old homes I have worked in the white turns brown because of time
and heat.
Use a meter to identify the wires

Rick

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, I am putting a ceiling light in a kitchen. I wish so bad I

would
have looked at the previous lighting. I did not. I expected it to

be
the same as everything else I have looked at.

This junction box has no white wires. There are black, a ground

(bare)
wire. And there are other wires black and light brown that are

wired
together. There are two sets of light brown and black wires. One

set
is black and light brown wired together. There is another set like

it.

There was a single black wire. I guessed that is the correct black

on
black wire. Ground was easy to find. There is just no white wire.

Any ideas?

The "light brown" is the white wire-the insulation has aged from heat.

As for the wiring itself, difficult to tell from your description, but
I'd say if there's only two romex cables coming into the ceiling box,
there's only one light switch. That switch should have a white and
black wire hooked to it.

In the ceiling box there should be 2 "light brown" wires connected
together. The white fixture wire also goes to that. There should also
be a "light brown" and black tied together from your description, with
the other black wire free. The free black wire goes to the black wire
on the fixture.

Rick

"Rick" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Oops-added one too many "light brown wires, lol. Not connected
together!!!!

.. The white fixture wire also goes to that. There should also
be a "light brown" and black tied together from your description,

with
the other black wire free. The free black wire goes to the black

wire
on the fixture.

Oops-added one too many "light brown wires, lol

Thanks. I found it. I am stupid, but I hooked the old fixture back up
and it worked. I have determined it is the light bulbs. They don't
fit the new fixture. Sigh. Thanks and sorry.

Light won't turn off. markp Home Repair 22 January 1st 05 01:52 PM
Found elsewhere but perhaps a bit close to home? John UK diy 5 December 29th 04 11:28 PM
changing a light bulb Joe Home Repair 6 March 8th 04 06:30 PM
Light bulb malfunction Oldylocks Home Repair 12 February 5th 04 01:51 PM
strange problem connecting light to dimmer John Hunter Home Repair 6 January 19th 04 07:57 PM