Rick

"Rick" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, I am putting a ceiling light in a kitchen. I wish so bad I

would
have looked at the previous lighting. I did not. I expected it

be
the same as everything else I have looked at.

This junction box has no white wires. There are black, a ground

(bare)
wire. And there are other wires black and light brown that are

wired
together. There are two sets of light brown and black wires. One

set
is black and light brown wired together. There is another set

like
it.

There was a single black wire. I guessed that is the correct

black
on
black wire. Ground was easy to find. There is just no white

wire.

Any ideas?

The "light brown" is the white wire-the insulation has aged from

heat.

As for the wiring itself, difficult to tell from your description,

but
I'd say if there's only two romex cables coming into the ceiling

box,
there's only one light switch. That switch should have a white and
black wire hooked to it.

In the ceiling box there should be 2 "light brown" wires connected
together

Oops-added one too many "light brown wires, lol. Not connected
together!!!!

.. The white fixture wire also goes to that. There should also
be a "light brown" and black tied together from your description,

with
the other black wire free. The free black wire goes to the black

wire
on the fixture.

Oops-added one too many "light brown wires, lol