Default Icemaker not getting water

I have a Whirlpool refrigeretor with icemaker purchased in 2001. About
two months ago the icemaker stopped working, so I purchased a new
icemaker for $119 at the local appliance store and installed it. The new
icemaker has been working fine until two days ago when it stopped
altogether. No water is getting to the icemaker unit. I checked and
there is water coming in from the supply line in the house. I also
checked the filter where the water line enters the refrigerator and the
filter is clean. Could the new icemaker be defective, or maybe there is
a problem with the switch at the bottom of the refrigerator not sending
water up to the icemaker. Any help would be appreciated.

Doug and Patty

Frank Boettcher

Check the solenoid valve (usually where the water connection is made
to the back of the refrigerator) You can put a voltmeter on the
solenoid terminals and run it through a fill cycle (there is a way to
jump it up to the fill cycle, however I cannot remember which
terminals in the timer/motor you jump. several repair web sights have
this informaiton.). When you attach the volt meter, you will get a
jump in voltage ( up to 115) when the fill valve is supposed to open.
If the voltage comes up and the water does not come, you either have a
freeze or other blockage or the solenoid is shot. Replace it.

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:51:15 -0400, wrote:

I have a Whirlpool refrigeretor with icemaker purchased in 2001. About
two months ago the icemaker stopped working, so I purchased a new
icemaker for $119 at the local appliance store and installed it. The new
icemaker has been working fine until two days ago when it stopped
altogether. No water is getting to the icemaker unit. I checked and
there is water coming in from the supply line in the house. I also
checked the filter where the water line enters the refrigerator and the
filter is clean. Could the new icemaker be defective, or maybe there is
a problem with the switch at the bottom of the refrigerator not sending
water up to the icemaker. Any help would be appreciated.

Doug and Patty

Steve Richardson

This exact thing happened to mine too, and since the water dispenser still
worked it was an easy call. I got the solenoid valve replaced on the very
last day that the warranty was good (why do it myself if I paid extra for
the warranty?) and it's been fine ever since.

wrote in message
I have a Whirlpool refrigeretor with icemaker purchased in 2001. About
two months ago the icemaker stopped working, so I purchased a new
icemaker for $119 at the local appliance store and installed it. The new
icemaker has been working fine until two days ago when it stopped
altogether. No water is getting to the icemaker unit. I checked and
there is water coming in from the supply line in the house. I also
checked the filter where the water line enters the refrigerator and the
filter is clean. Could the new icemaker be defective, or maybe there is
a problem with the switch at the bottom of the refrigerator not sending
water up to the icemaker. Any help would be appreciated.

Doug and Patty

Rick

Most likely it is the solenoid valve. My experience with my Whirlpool
was that the valve seals got either worn or dirty allowing small drops
of water by, which would eventually build an ice dam in the dispenser
tube inside the freezer. I could create an interim fix be thawing the
dam with a hair dryer, and the ice maker would work for a few months
and then stop again. Ultimately I figured out that I had to replace
solenoid valve assy to clear the problem.

wrote:

I have a Whirlpool refrigeretor with icemaker purchased in 2001. About
two months ago the icemaker stopped working, so I purchased a new
icemaker for $119 at the local appliance store and installed it. The new
icemaker has been working fine until two days ago when it stopped
altogether. No water is getting to the icemaker unit. I checked and
there is water coming in from the supply line in the house. I also
checked the filter where the water line enters the refrigerator and the
filter is clean. Could the new icemaker be defective, or maybe there is
a problem with the switch at the bottom of the refrigerator not sending
water up to the icemaker. Any help would be appreciated.

Doug and Patty

World Traveler

Despite your visual inspection of the filter, when was the last time you
actually replaced the filter? I'll bet if you check the control panel
you'll find a little red light on, indicating you need a filter replacement.
$35 or so, at most appliance stores, Best Buy, etc.

wrote:

I have a Whirlpool refrigeretor with icemaker purchased in 2001. About
two months ago the icemaker stopped working, so I purchased a new
icemaker for $119 at the local appliance store and installed it. The new
icemaker has been working fine until two days ago when it stopped
altogether. No water is getting to the icemaker unit. I checked and
there is water coming in from the supply line in the house. I also
checked the filter where the water line enters the refrigerator and the
filter is clean. Could the new icemaker be defective, or maybe there is
a problem with the switch at the bottom of the refrigerator not sending
water up to the icemaker. Any help would be appreciated.

Doug and Patty

Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 09:59 PM