Keith

Default Air Compressor Quest

Hi

I just bought an air compressor, 20 gal tank. I will probably use this
about once or twice a month and for max 10 to 15 mins most times - just
for quick jobs in the garage.

Q1. Do I have to drain the air from the tank after each use?

Q2. If the air doesn't have to be drained, should I bleed the water
from the drain cock after each use? every week? every month? Do I
have to lower the pressure (150lb max) in the tank before bleeding off
the water? If so, to what level?

Thanks

Keith
Bennett Price

The air will gradually leak out by itself.

As for draining, you have to experiment. Relative Humidity, garage
temperature, and how long you run the compressor (how hot the air gets)
will determine how much vapor condenses in the tank.

No need to bleed air before draining; the compressed air will help blow
out the water.

Keith wrote:
Hi

I just bought an air compressor, 20 gal tank. I will probably use this
about once or twice a month and for max 10 to 15 mins most times - just
for quick jobs in the garage.

Q1. Do I have to drain the air from the tank after each use?

Q2. If the air doesn't have to be drained, should I bleed the water
from the drain cock after each use? every week? every month? Do I
have to lower the pressure (150lb max) in the tank before bleeding off
the water? If so, to what level?

Thanks

Keith

Phisherman

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 23:14:48 GMT, Keith
#ca wrote:

Hi

I just bought an air compressor, 20 gal tank. I will probably use this
about once or twice a month and for max 10 to 15 mins most times - just
for quick jobs in the garage.

Q1. Do I have to drain the air from the tank after each use?

Yes, as recommended by the manufacturer.

Q2. If the air doesn't have to be drained, should I bleed the water
from the drain cock after each use? every week? every month? Do I
have to lower the pressure (150lb max) in the tank before bleeding off
the water? If so, to what level?

I drain the tank at the end of the day to prevent the tank from
rusting out.

Thanks

Keith

Richard J Kinch

Keith writes:

Q1. Do I have to drain the air from the tank after each use?

No.

Q2. If the air doesn't have to be drained, should I bleed the water
from the drain cock after each use? every week? every month?

Draining water is a chore, and doesn't alter the saturated conditions
slowly corroding the inside of the tank, so monthly would be overdoing it.
Draining doesn't actually dry the insides. It should last as long as you
need it no matter how often you drain it.

http://www.truetex.com/aircompressors.htm
Bob G.

#ca wrote:

Hi

I just bought an air compressor, 20 gal tank. I will probably use this
about once or twice a month and for max 10 to 15 mins most times - just
for quick jobs in the garage.

Q1. Do I have to drain the air from the tank after each use?

I honestly would drain it after every use... 20 Gal is pretty small
and it just does not take any time at all to fill the tank...

Q2. If the air doesn't have to be drained, should I bleed the water
from the drain cock after each use? every week? every month? Do I
have to lower the pressure (150lb max) in the tank before bleeding off
the water? If so, to what level?

If you want to go to the trouble of doing this just drain the tank and
walk away... again just to save the time...

I have an 80 gallon tank that I use almost every day....its close to
30 years old now and I drain the thing every single day.... I do this
to stop the tank from rusting inside the tank...and I leave the drain
open until the next use... to be truthful I really do not know if it
is required BUT I do know the tank is still solid..

Just my opinion... Just do not neglect oiling your air tools
before you store them...

Bob Griffiths

Vic Dura

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 23:14:48 GMT, in alt.home.repair Air
Compressor Quest Keith #ca wrote:

Q2. If the air doesn't have to be drained, should I bleed the water
from the drain cock after each use?

I leave the drain valve cracked open a tiny amount so condensate is
continuously bled out when the tank is pressurized. It works well for
me.

Frank Boettcher

As infrequently as you use it, opening the tank drain cock and letting
it drain the air and the water is probably appropriate.

I use mine almost every day and do not drain it off. My theory is the
shortened life of the tank if it even is shortened is not worth the
power it takes to recharge the tank every day. Mine does not leak
down overnight.

#ca wrote:

Hi

I just bought an air compressor, 20 gal tank. I will probably use this
about once or twice a month and for max 10 to 15 mins most times - just
for quick jobs in the garage.

Q1. Do I have to drain the air from the tank after each use?

Q2. If the air doesn't have to be drained, should I bleed the water
from the drain cock after each use? every week? every month? Do I
have to lower the pressure (150lb max) in the tank before bleeding off
the water? If so, to what level?

Thanks

Keith

nobody

Keith wrote:
Hi
=20
I just bought an air compressor, 20 gal tank. I will probably use this=

=20
about once or twice a month and for max 10 to 15 mins most times - just=

=20
for quick jobs in the garage.
=20
Q1. Do I have to drain the air from the tank after each use?
=20

I never did and after 15 years, still had little rust in the=20
water. We lived in a humid climate and got quite a bit of=20
condensate in the tank.

Q2. If the air doesn't have to be drained, should I bleed the water=20
from the drain cock after each use? every week? every month? Do I=20
have to lower the pressure (150lb max) in the tank before bleeding off =

the water? If so, to what level?

I had a 60 gallon, 5-hp vertical and it was a royal PITA to=20
get down on my knees and crack open the drain valve. After=20
doing it the first time, I decided to do it right. I used=20
copper tubing and a brass fitting to replace the valve in=20
the bottom of the tank, running the 1/4" copper line up=20
alongside the tank, where I installed a ball valve, with a=20
downturn piece of pipe for the discharge. From then on, it=20
was a snap to just put a tin cup under the downturn and open=20
the valve when I thought of it.

--=20
Thanks to spammers
Most of us now use false
ID=92s to cut down on unsolicited
Email.
Ulysses

"Keith" #ca wrote in message
Hi

I just bought an air compressor, 20 gal tank. I will probably use this
about once or twice a month and for max 10 to 15 mins most times - just
for quick jobs in the garage.

Q1. Do I have to drain the air from the tank after each use?

Q2. If the air doesn't have to be drained, should I bleed the water
from the drain cock after each use? every week? every month? Do I
have to lower the pressure (150lb max) in the tank before bleeding off
the water? If so, to what level?

Thanks

My personal experience is that if you drain the air out of the tank every
day it will last about 15-20 years. If you (like me) don't drain the air
out every day then the tank will last about 15-20 years.

You mainly need to let the water out so you don't get it in your tools,
paint (spray), etc. Put a drop or two of air tool oil in your tools once a
month or so.

Keith

Keith

Thanks to all who took the time to reply.

It seems there are a few differing opinions. At least I know I can
drain the moisture without having to bleed the tank down first. As far
as emptying it completely, I guess that's not really such a big chore -
as one of you mentioned, it's only a 20 gal tank so recharge doesn't
take that long.

In all probability, knowing my past habits, while it's new I can see me
doing everything by the book initially, but after the novelty wears off,
I'll likely tell myself I'll "do it next time".

I'm a complete novice to air tools and their use. No doubt you'll be
seeing other naive postings from me from time to time until I get the
hang of it. I hope you'll be as tolerant with me then as well.

Thanks again

Keith