stevie

Default wiring for new dryer

My current electric clothes dryer was installed in early 80's, and I think I
may have to get a new one soon. I believe that I will need to convert the
220 outlet to the newer style outlet and purchase a new dryer cord (not real
sure why though).

How do you make the conversion from the older style 220 plug to the newer
style??

FDR

"stevie" wrote in message ...
My current electric clothes dryer was installed in early 80's, and I think
may have to get a new one soon. I believe that I will need to convert the
220 outlet to the newer style outlet and purchase a new dryer cord (not
real
sure why though).

How do you make the conversion from the older style 220 plug to the newer
style??

You would need to run a new line that contains four conductors instead of
three.

However, they still sell three prong cords for dryers so you may not have to
do anything.

RBM

If your existing dryer feeder happens to be a four wire cable, you would
connect the four wires accordingly : hot-hot-neutral-ground. If it is only
three wire, as FDR said, just use a three wire cord on it. The dryer
probably doesn't come with a cord so you may want to swap the one from your
existing dryer

"stevie" wrote in message ...
My current electric clothes dryer was installed in early 80's, and I think
may have to get a new one soon. I believe that I will need to convert the
220 outlet to the newer style outlet and purchase a new dryer cord (not
real
sure why though).

How do you make the conversion from the older style 220 plug to the newer
style??

toller

In all liklihood, the existing cable has three wires. There is no way you
can make it four wires without running a new cable.
If it happens to be four wires it is a simple matter to put a new outlet in.
If you have an easy run to the breaker box it is not too difficult to put a
new four wire cable in.

If you are stuck with the existing three wire cable, follow the directions
that come with the dryer. As someone suggested, you may want to pull the
cord off the old dryer instead of buying a new one.

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Sun, 24 Jul 2005 21:30:11 -0500 "stevie"
posted:

My current electric clothes dryer was installed in early 80's, and I think I
may have to get a new one soon. I believe that I will need to convert the
220 outlet to the newer style outlet and purchase a new dryer cord (not real
sure why though).

In order to use the current outlet. There is no point to doing both
of these things at the same time.

Replace the new cord to match the old outlet, or replace the old
outlet to match the new cord. If they don't match already.

--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
~^Johnny^~

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Posted to alt.home.repair
crisk

Just wanna get this straight...

I have a three pronged dryer chord that I want to convert to four. There
is a red, white, black and then a green cord.
Is this green chord a ground wire?
There is a green wire already coming from inside the dryer and screwed down
off to the side.
Do I want to screw the green cord from my new four pronged power cord to
that screw?
Do I leave the green wire that is coming from inside the dryer attached to
that same screw?

Thanks...
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

You connect the green from the dryer cord to the green screw on the dryer,
then the white to the neutral, and the two hots (black and red) to the two
hots on the dryer. This is all assuming that the feeder cable feeding your
existing dryer is a four wire cable

news:fe7336a7ad1a81d8ceeeafcb5d93b33a@homerepairli ve.com...

dryer vent location John Home Repair 7 June 14th 05 04:31 AM
Green wire on Dryer? Duncan Tuna Home Repair 4 April 25th 05 11:40 AM
GE Dryer problem David L. Hanson Home Repair 5 January 2nd 05 03:18 PM
Can I plug my 230V compressor (NEMA 6-20P) into a dryer (NEMA 10-30R) receptacle? Martin Mickston Home Ownership 1 October 25th 04 04:17 PM
Cloth covered wiring barry martin Home Repair 0 October 20th 04 02:32 AM